It is so frustrating not finding a job and making a living

iwishiknew

I'm 34 and getting old and still I'm not making a living. I can't find a full-time job at all. I graduated with my second Bachelor degree 4 yrs ago in HR Management and Marketing and I have applied to over 1000 plus jobs and still today nothing at all. I have had several interviews and 2nd interviews and nothing. I do not know what to do anymore. I feel like giving up. This is the worse feeling to have inside of me of emptyness. This makes me so weak everday waking up that I don't make a living and going no where in life.

I feel the same way you do. I'm a bit younger (26) but in the same boat. I only have a part-time job and a non-paying internship. I have to constantly ask my family for help and it SUCKS.

Have you thought about seeing a career counselor?

Seeing a career counselor really helped me. I was giving bad interviews, and they helped me improve my performance so I didn't act like a socially awkward clod and actually got the point accross that I have good skills.

I'm only 23, but I know what you mean. I thought that graduating from college was going to be a magic job ticket, but to my disappointment, this wasn't the case. I stalked career finder websites for months on end and got turned down left and right. It seems so silly that even entry level positions require experience. Anyway, I was hired recently at a local middle school to help teach special ed. The pay is abysmal, but it's something.

I'm really surprised that you haven't found anything, considering you have two degrees which sound promising. Maybe it's the area you're in. Would you consider moving? That's one advantage that you have living in the continental US; there should be a lot more opportunities and it should be a bit easier to move around. I live in Hawaii, and unless I'm willing to leave the island, I pretty much have to make do with what is here...not to mention the cost of living.

Secondly, try and apply to things that aren't necessarily your dream job. The first full-time position you get doesn't have to be your career. Think of it as a stepping stone and a way to boost up your resume. I also had some luck with temp agencies. The work fluctuates, but some positions are temp-to-hire.

Keep you head up, man. You'll find something

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 33 here also degree qualified with numerous other qualifications under the belt and no job...unemployed...no salary...but why am I not worried? Why do I not feel depressed or down or like I have bad skills or need consultation?

Because I use my mind dear friend. It is the greatest gift you have. Being degree qualified (in two majors) you have proven your ability to think analytically and that you do have a head on your shoulders, so why do you want to insist on having a job, insist on working for someone else?

I'm not trying to sound arrogant, or worse ignorant here, I am only trying to highlight to you that there are other opportunities that you might not have taken a look at. There are a myriad of possibilities that I can think out of my head in a minute of what you could do with your time, but its not for me to suggest any as only you know where your strengths and weaknesses lie and what your community around you is doing.

If I may suggest, while you have time now, take a look into the books of Vaughan Evans, and other mens such as Robert Kiyosaki, Donald Trump, even Richard Branson. If you can find within you the want, then surely you can devise the way.

The best of luck to you (the definition of luck is when preparation meets opportunity) and I hope to hear great things from you soon!!

I do small side jobs working on cars once or twice a week but I do not make enough to survive on my own.

Even though I have a decent job now I still live with my mother, because the job is only guaranteed for 6 months. It's a paid internship, but very well paid for an internship.

The person above me is right - you have all those skills from your degrees, you should think about starting your own business. I know, easier said than done. I was thinking of it though when I was unemployed for the summer.

Archived