my sister is trying to kill herself

I really hate writting these things because they take forever but i really need some help so here goes...

My sister, for the last month has been seeing this guy. The problem is he is a very big druggy and he's getting her into all these illicit drugs. What's worse is my sister, although going on 19, is very easily influenced and manipulated. She also drinks regurlarly with him with taking the illicit drugs. On top of it all is she is a manic-depressive and has Bipolar disorder. She is on all kinds of heavy medication, she told my mom today about all of the things she has been doing. She talks about how she doesn't care and she could be dead tomorrow, she admits to hoping that the drugs will kill her and thinks about killing herself every day. A week ago we had a pregnency scare with her, she says she has also been doing very degrading things to herself but won't tell anyone specifically what they are. I'm scared for her, it's really upsetting to me to see her destroy herself and know that i can't do anything about it. My mom is trying to get her in to see a psychiatrist and she was suppose to go to a crisis center tonight but she changed her mind because her stupid bf came over. My sister is constantly trying to escape reality and talks about running away, she has also been getting blackouts and has lost ALOT of weight. I REALLY REALLY need some advice it would be so greatly appreciated...this is tearing me apart

Hi Rapture,

I am sorry to hear all that your sister is going through. I understand that she is giving your mom and you a very hard and rough time with her behaviour.

I strongly believe that killing herself is not the option right now. Her life just started and on later age, she might be able to control herself a little better. I am very curious how your mom is dealing with all this. Eventually she is the one responsible and I believe that she should be the one taking action eventually.

Is sounds harsh, but I start to believe that if nothing else resolves anything for your sister, I would recommend you to get professional help for her. She might be locked in an institution for a while, then, but in the long run it might increase her chances of a better future.

I hope that this helps you a little bit. I wish you strength and hope for the near future and hope that everything will work out for you.

~ SwingFox ~

A while ago, I was in a similar situation, just without the drugs. I was going through life not seeing a reason why I should continue living other than the fact that I was breathing, and that gradually became not enough of a reason. I too didn't care whether I lived or died the next day and would have welcomed it. I did reckless things not caring whether I might be injured. Why worry about consequences when you're looking for death? And demeaning things are only demeaning if you still care. There was no point to living if I can't see a purpose for it. I saw too many people around me going through life with a purpose and direction that I didn't understand or feel. I needed more than living just because I was breathing and because society expects me to go to school, get a job, have a family, raise 2.3 kids and a dog, pay my taxes and die like a good little human being.

The drugs and the drinking don't help, but You can't help the body if the spirit no longer cares. The spirit needs something to hold on to, a goal, a dream, something that says this is why i want to keep living, to strive for. Something I didn't have. It took a half-hearted attempt to kill myself and time spent in a psychiatric facility for me to work out for myself what I wanted out of this life. I want to fall in love and to raise a family, and that is the only reason why I still breath. I may not realize my dreams, but I want to live to at least try.

Your sister is more fortunate in that she has goals and dreams. She wants to escape reality and run away because she can't see a way to resolve what she wants to be and what her current reality is. I wanted to escape because i saw no point to continuing reality. You have to help her realize and identify for herself whats she wants most out of this life. Not "what do you want to be when you grow up", but what do you want to accomplish in this life.

Sometimes you have to have the courage to do whatever it takes to help, if she doesn't have the courage for herself. Feelings can be mended, a lost life and a lifetime of regret can't.

I hope my story helps you see a way to get through to her.