Told my boss I feel "stuck" in my position (and now I regret it)

I've been working for the same company for almost ten years. I work in finance (I'm an accounting assistant). In 2008, I got my first BA in Communication/English. I applied for jobs in the communication and writing fields again and again, but because of the economy at the time, I got nowhere. About a year after graduation, I sat down with the VP of my department to discuss my goals within the company. When I expressed that I ultimately wanted a job that involved writing and at least a bit of creativity (and there is none of this in finance), I was told that there was nothing within the company that would fit my dream job description and that they could only offer me jobs in the finance department. They did end up giving me a promotion, but it was still in finance and wasn't anything along the lines of what I had told them I wanted in a career. Low and behold, less than six months later, they hired a paid marketing intern--you know, six months after they told me they didn't have anything "creative" they could offer me.

I have been increasingly unhappy with my job and I'm now 11 months away from getting my second degree, this time in technical communication. I'm getting married in 7 weeks and I had fully intended on looking for a new job once I come back from my honeymoon. Today, I had my annual performance review. My boss wanted to know if I had any concerns I wanted to address, and I just couldn't stop myself. I told my boss that I feel stuck where I'm at and that I'm disappointed that I'm told I can't move anywhere other than finance. Ultimately, I made the statement that as long as I'm in finance, I don't see this company as my long-term career choice. I was very calm when I said these things--not upset, not emotional, just honest. My boss sounded understanding at the time, but later in the day I overheard her recapping our conversation to her boss, and they discussed that they need to have a meeting with me to determine the direction I want to go in my career.

At the time, I felt like it was necessary for me to express my feelings. Honestly, as long as I've worked for this company, I don't want to act like I'm content with my job and then surprise them with my notice if I find something else. But now, I'm starting to worry that this could turn on me. I'm afraid that my bosses will act differently toward me. I'm afraid that I could walk in tomorrow and they could fire me for expressing that I don't want to make a permanent career there. I guess part of me was hoping that if I reiterated what it is I'm looking for in a career, they would consider things they could have me do that are more along the lines of what I want to do.

I guess all I want to know is, was it a bad idea for me to say something to my boss? At this point, what do I do? If they really do have a meeting with me to discuss my career plans, what do I say?

They did end up giving me a promotion, but it was still in finance and wasn't anything along the lines of what I had told them I wanted in a career. Low and behold, less than six months later, they hired a paid marketing intern--you know, six months after they told me they didn't have anything "creative" they could offer me

I guess all I want to know is, was it a bad idea for me to say something to my boss? At this point, what do I do? If they really do have a meeting with me to discuss my career plans, what do I say?

I detect that you were disappointed that you were not considered for the job of marketing intern because that was within your realm of expertise? If that is the case, that is what I would express to them if they do have a meeting with you to discuss your career plans. I would ask them to consider positions that might come up in the future as something that you would very possibly be interested in.

I detect that you were disappointed that you were not considered for the job of marketing intern because that was within your realm of expertise? If that is the case, that is what I would express to them if they do have a meeting with you to discuss your career plans. I would ask them to consider positions that might come up in the future as something that you would very possibly be interested in.

Thanks chi. Unfortunately, the only department in which I could actually do what I'm going to school for is marketing--it is only a 3-person department and they have no intentions of creating any new positions. Should I still tell them my career plans and see what their response is? My fear is that if I announce what my intentions are as far as my career goes, they'll know that I don't plan on staying with the company and it will come back to haunt me...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks chi. Unfortunately, the only department in which I could actually do what I'm going to school for is marketing--it is only a 3-person department and they have no intentions of creating any new positions. Should I still tell them my career plans and see what their response is? My fear is that if I announce what my intentions are as far as my career goes, they'll know that I don't plan on staying with the company and it will come back to haunt me...

OK. Scrape that suggestion. Don't tell them your career plans.....chi

Archived