my boyfriend/best friend is going away to college :(

My boyfriend/ best friend is going away to college. We've been together for three years and known eachother for 8 years. Currently we both attend community college together, however he wants to go on to bigger and better things next semester. He wants to major in philosophy. I too will join him at this particular school to major in Art education the following semester. Anyway, my problem is he is going to be away from me for a semester and it's a little upsetting. I know that's not a very long time but, I have a lot of problems that he helps me with. I was abused as a child by my alcoholic father (he recovered sometime around last summer) My father always put me down (and still does) and my mother doesn't help.

I've had a tough life and he gives me the incentive to strive and do better and make the best out of anything. He helps me put my past behind me and concentrate on the future. After college we plan to make a life of our own together.

Anyway, I guess what I am asking is:

How can I cope with the only person who ever believed in me being so far away?

Long distance only becomes a problem when it is going to be for a long time, or it is percieved as a long time.

Have you 2 ever spent any significant time apart? (significant meaning at least 1 or 2 weeks). If you have, no problem. If you haven't....Its going to take some ggetting used to...and make sure you have a long distance telephone plan lol.

If it's only going to be for a semester...and you have been together for 3 years...I don't imagine you're going to have any major problems. If you're insecure about him moving away from you, just talk it out with him.

Other than that...three months is an increadibly short amount of time. I've gone 6 months without seeing my long distance partner before....it's totally do-able. Just talk lots.

Good Luck

Sn0man