Making a living from working at home?

Well...I'll attempt to answer your question, but I have a somewhat unique situation in terms of what my business is.

About 4 years ago I got budget cut from my job at a radio station. I was a radio DJ for 25 years, and given the state of the industry, I was sort of finished/burnt out on being on the air anyway. I was (and am) on friendly terms with the station's engineer and he helped me build a decent sounding home studio on a budget...and a bit over 3 years ago I started seriously pursuing freelance voiceover work with an eye toward making it a full time job.

In the interim, I managed to get hired for a traditional office gig so I could keep my bills paid and have health insurance at a reasonable cost.

Last year a little over half my income came from my business, and a little less than half came from the office gig. It's slow but steady movement in the desired direction.

The office gig is 38-40 hours a week, the voiceover work fluctuates. Some weeks its a few hours....other weeks its 30 hours or more. And then there's also the bookkeeping, the planning & implementing marketing, the auditioning for projects, and all the grunt work that comes with having your own business. I do all of that myself...along with recording & editing audio.

To be where I want to be income-wise, I need to make an average of $200 a day, 4-5 days a week. Somedays that might be one project that takes me a half hour...other days it might be a series of smaller projects that take most of the day...and other times, it might be a larger project (like a series of elearning modules or an audio book) that pays 4 figures but takes a number of days/weeks to finish.

I'm well aware this is not the sort of business the average person is going to be able to go start up on their own, so I don't know how much of this gets at what you're looking to find out.

One thing that I think will apply is this -- no matter what business you're thinking about going into, if you're working for yourself, you're likely to end up working more and working harder than you would at a traditional job.

The upside is you will reap ALL the benefit/reward of that effort (rather than someone further up the corporate ladder) and you can run your business however you like (if i want to record & edit audio and talk to my clients on the phone in my bathrobe and bunny slippers, no one can say squat about it.).

I would be interested in working from home, if it were a local employer I could know and trust. I was reading a book about working from home and it mentioned, if I were to work for an employer, then the employer could live in a different city and state. This makes me feel uncomfortable, because it is too hard to know if an employer could scam me or not. One of the reasons working from home appeals to me, is because my current work situation requires me to remain focused enough on my mult-tasking Administrative Assistant tasks, and also participate in office teamwork at the same time, with pressure to achieve 100% perfection as an end result, before a deadline. I believe this is a lot to expect from the average person. When I say the average person, I believe I am an "average person" and not the "naturally talented-type" at this job. I had to get enough experience at doing what I do to get good at it. Some people are naturally good at it, without a lot of experience, and don't have to put a lot of effort into this, which I think I did put a lot of effort into getting good at my job.

I believe working from home helps a worker maintain their focus on their task, in order to achieve 100% perfection as a goal before a deadline. One could argue teamwork is more beneficial than harmful at achieving 100% perfection, as a goal before a deadline. I do think teamwork helps me solve problems more quickly sometimes, but the complexity, the changes, the mistakes, and the constant/intermitent distractions of teamwork, I think, can be more harmful, than beneficial. Has working from home helped one retain your focus on a task in order to achieve 100% perfection, as a goal before a deadline, without teamwork at the same time? I would assume if one worked from home and needed teamwork, one could use some teamwork, on-the-side, on-the-side of one's current task focus, and not during one's current task focus. Does working from home help one avoid the annoyances of teamwork, and is this one of the reasons one works from home?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived