Im Shy but feel got to be more to it.

leemi1982

Hi I'm a 29 year old guy my problem is my shyness, I've always been shy but as I've got older It feel its got more difficult to talk socially, In my late teens I used to hate putting myself in social situations Eg going out to pubs and clubs, any places where i had to meet people then in my early 20s from pressure from friends for not going out with them, so i forced my self to go into social situations around pubs and clubs where plenty of people maybe, I hated it for a few years but it got eventually got used to it and began to start enjoying myself going out doing pubs and clubs thing even doing things like eventually going on lads drinking holidays abroad things i thought i would never be able to do in the early days.

However one thing that has always frustrated me, not so much get me down is just being able to talk socially to people even some of my friends i find hard to chat to unless i've had a few drinks and i've known them for years, if i meet anybody new they might aswell talk to a brick wall than me.. i feel I'm not capabel of holding out a conversation i don't even know how to make conversation with people, I don't like small talk because it feels i'm being desperate to make conversation with people and i know it ends quickly..

this may sound a little stupid but sometimes i think i may have a form of misdiagnosed autism, I've taken a few online autism tests and came out showing fairly mild signs of autism on the tests and maybe thats contributes to my shyness.. ..I've always had certain fixations on things like dates, times, routines, hate change..

Tonight I went to my girlfriends families for dinner I find it so awkward around her family I've known them for 3 yrs but still find in very difficult to talk to them, makes me feel like I'm miserable or untrustworthy awkward, I feel like there treading on egg shells around me just because they don't know how to be around me.

just think theres go to be more to this than me being shy.

Sounds more like social anxiety to me. I doubt you autism or asperger syndrome. You have a girlfriend, so you have some social ability. Check into seeing a professional who deals with social phobias and disorders, they will be better equipped to help you. Plenty of people (myself included) struggle with shyness. It certainly is common, and there are ways to deal with it and potentially get over it.

Archived