Bored at new job (of 6 weeks); might re-apply to old employer

YabbaDabba

I thought it would take longer than this; I really did. I work in the library field and, very recently, got a new job. A major impetus behind my looking for a new job was because of a co-worker that I didn't want to deal with anymore, but was also because, within my organization, at that point, there was no real upward mobility (unless, of course, I waited for someone to retire).

Anyway.

I got a new job, which was a significant pay increase, but going into it, I worried because it was an entirely different sector of my field, and one that's not really chock-full of variety. Now, six weeks later, I'm beginning to wonder about my choice, and I'm thinking I might've made a mistake. I feel bad even writing that because my new boss is friendly and really encouraging, but, at the same time, I can see, a year down the road, me ripping my hair out because I'm so utterly bored. And, I know that I could be more proactive in seeking out/asking my boss for more tasks, but there honestly aren't many things he could give me to do (I, at this point, because of compartmentalization, know more about my job than he does!), and, to be blunt, I'm not really all that passionate about this branch of my career field, OR this aspect of it.

On top of that, I still have friends at my old job, and when we talk about the old job, I find it difficult to speak of it in past-tense terminology. I'm often having to correct myself from saying "we" to "you guys," since I'm no longer employed there. And, even with all of its flaws, I'm finding that I miss the activity and variety of my old job; I sort of miss the creativity and the dynamic aspect, which I've yet to find in this new job. And, I know it's early on, and I didn't really settle into my old position until about three months in, but I KNOW this new job isn't where I want to be.

I mean, when I took the job, I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do long-term, and I planned to stay for a year or two, but now...I don't know. Even that seems like a long time.

But, what has me most confused, is that my old organization now has three professional positions open; these are jobs that, if I'd know for certain they were going to offer, I probably wouldn't have left; see, as I said, my main reason for leaving was the utter lack of advancement (paired with the irksome co-worker), but these positions are exactly what could've kept me around/given me hope for advancement. So now, I'm considering apply for one of these jobs, but I'm also torn because I feel like it'll look like the height of indecisiveness, considering that I left in early Oct. and now, in late Nov., am trying to come back (albeit, in a completely different job capacity).

When I was leaving the old job, though, I happened to encounter one of my boss's former supervisor's, who started quizzing me about the new job; as I was answering her, the organization's deputy director appeared and, said, "Well, that's fine for now [referring to my new job]. But we know where your heart is; and you'll be back." At the time, I was SO weirded out by that comment, but it's also so true. I mean, I figure that if she made that comment, it won't/wouldn't be all that weird if I re-apply an interview for one of these new jobs (which, incidentally, are a significan pay increase above my new pay). I don't know. I guess, at the end of the day, I'm kind of embarassed to apply for a new position after only six weeks away; if this were a year down the road, I wouldn't hesitate, but a few weeks just seems like I don't know what I'm doing with myself.

So, after all of this rambling, my question really is this: should I stick with the current job and hope it gets better? (Despite that fact that even if I create tasks for myself, I know that I'll NEVER be passionate about this branch of the library field?). Or just swallow my pride and apply for a job with my erstwhile employer and see what happens? (I mean, at the end of the day, all of this worrying could be pointless, considering I might not even get an interview/get hired for one of the new jobs).

Well, if you were disappointed in your job, maybe the positions were open but your bosses did not offer them because they didn't feel you were a fit. Remember, its not about what they can offer for you, but what you can offer them.

If it were me, and I had a significant pay increase, I would give it a better shot. Live off your old salary and use the rest of your salary to save, pay off debt, etc. If you are bored, then concentrate on interests after work. I had a job where I was paid awesome money and didn't have so much to do. Little did i know my boss would have encouraged me to study, read, etc in my downtime (it was babysitting an office that freelancers came into but usually I only saw 5 people for maybe an hour or two every week). Also, I think that you have decided in your mind the job is boring rather than give it a shot.

That's just me. Then when you have saved up a bunch of cash...look around in a year.

did you tell your old boss you were looking for advancement?? At all during your career there?

I know, for a fact, that none of these new positions were open before I left. Less than a month after I left, my former boss actually e-mailed me the job descriptions for the new jobs the day before they were publicly posted. Furthermore, it was never a secret that I was looking for advancement within the organization, but was, at times, passed over because many other staff members outranked me with regard to longevity. In my prior position, though, even though there wasn't a ton of advancement opportunity, there was a lot of shift and change that kept the job fresh; even as I was leaving, I made a suggestion about rearranging part of the branch, which my former boss was very excited about and plans to implement in the near future.

Meanwhile, going into this new position, I realized that it was going to be a significant shift from what I was used to, but I was ready (and, to an extent, still am) to embrace the new experience, and even looked into taking classes to shore up my knowledge base for this new job. However, it has become increasingly clear to me that, regardless of what I do with that regard, I'm simply not going to be excited about this new position. It just is what it is. I do realize, though, that making this sort of decision after less than two months on the job is probably the epitome or rashness, but, at the same time, I know--honestly, know--that this isn't the field I want to make a post-graduate degree career in. My fear, on top of the boredom, is that if I stay here for another year or so, I'm going to end up setting myself up on this career track, and have to struggle to re-direct myself where I want to be. (I.e., if I stay just for the sake of staying and trying to work around the boredom, I'll be building a resume/job experience(s) designed to send me in what I'm starting to see is the wrong direction, career-wise).

And, I mean, I know that I could be more proactive with my current job, but it's hard to foster that sort of go-getter initiative when, really, I know that there's probably someone else out there who wouldn't have to actively find things to get excited about. And, in addition to all of that, there are A LOT of issues/problems that, frankly, I just don't see a productive solution to; I mean, my level of training for this job was slim, at best, which further limits the amount of iniative I feel I'm ready/prepared to take. Maybe in, say, five or six months I could approach these problems from a more informed angle, but the fact of the matter is that, I don't know if I have the mindset to keep myself occupied while I wait to learn enough in order to, down the road, really occupy my time with tasks/activities.

What is more important to you, more money without any hassles, or your old, familiar company where you just might have encounters with your old nemesis? There is no right or wrong here, just what is right for you. Only you know the answer to that one. I'd take the money and boredom and have a ball outside of work. But that's just me. Do what feels best for you.

Archived