Haven't heard back from the school I applied to

Firiel

On January 11th (I think), I sent of my grad school application (due the 15th) to a school that is accross the city from me. I put plenty of postage on the envelopes (four stamps on one heavier manilla envelope and two on the lighter one). Since then, however, I haven't heard back from the school. No "We have received your application" notice by mail, phone, or e-mail.

So should I e-mail the director of the program to make sure he received my application? Or is it just assumed they have a bunch of stuff to look through and won't let us know if our stuff has been received?

I'd e-mail -- or better yet, call -- the admissions office at the school and ask if they could confirm they got my application. At best, they'll confirm they received it (or that they didn't receive it and then you can figure out what to do about it) and they'll probably remember you as the responsible student who called to check, or at worst, they'll say "sorry, we don't confirm these things" and you'll be back at square one: not knowing. In the future though, I suggest you send important, time sensitive documents like that either through an overnight carrier (FedEx) or certified mail, return receipt requested....that way you have a way to track your documents and/or can receive a return postcard confirming receipt and date-stamped so you can contest any later contention on the school's part that they never received your application, or that it was received too late. Good luck!

Archived