Mental Problems

Growing up, I always knew I was a little "slow." My mother would always get mad at me saying I was just lazy when I'd forget something all the time, or be unable to finish schoolwork. When I graduated, I attempted college, but realized after 2 weeks that there was no way I'd be successful.

For the last 9 years since then I have labeled myself "too stupid" for college. I also have major problems remembering bills, work tasks, things I need to bring with me. I'm completely fed up with it. I know inside that I am an intelligent person, but I need some sort of resources for getting my brain working again. Any advice?](*,)

Go to a professional and see is you have A.D.D. or some other learning dissability--there's no reason for you to feel this way and not know why!

BTW A.D.D. ppl usually have a VERY high I.Q.--my son was diagnosed in second grade cos he had all the same issues you are mentioning--when they tested to see what his dissability was they also found out he was "gifted"--of course you'd never know that by looking at his report cards! lol MOF it took him until 11th grade & after working, for years, to learn how to organize, etc to raise his grades--he's now on honor role

Keep asking questions till you get the right answers for you!

Don't beat yourself up, everyone has their method of learning. I'm a big problem with forgetting things (ADD) so incorporating list of daily tasks and carrying reminders is a must for me. Do you have any sort of fixed schedules and routines as well as reminders that will help you to remember things? Even if you don't learn things the first time, repetition is usually the key.

Have you looked into counseling to see which area you may need help in? They may be able to better guide you with a system tailored to your needs for an improvement. Ask your healthcare professional for a referral to see who can look into the issue.

IDK abt your form of health insurance--but here in MA. I recently went though a similar situation (I didn't add this earlier cos I didn't think it necessary--but if it helps?)

After reading all these books abt A.D.D. for my son--I saw a lot of familiarities in my own learning style--and lack of organization & concentration....but never went to be tested--so years go by & I went back to school--graduated w/ honors this past may--and when I went to take the GRE exams for grad school found out that my slow reading style interfered with completing the test in the alloted time...tried it a second time and the same thing happened--could only finish 60% of the test so I went to my primary and got him to refer me to a psychiatrist--once you explain your circumstances to a psychiatrist he/or she could push your ins. for a psych eval for LD

I'm still waiting for my referrel--and had to proove that the school requires a full eval. for giving extended time on exams--I won't need it unless there's a ton of reading required--but better safe than sorry!

Tell them you want to go to college and see what they can do.

Also if you have a college in mind you could contact them and ask for the info on what is needed for proof of a learning dissability--mine lead me straight to where to get the info!

Archived