ARE YOU READY TO LET GO?

letting go, Holding on

"If I can let you go as trees let go/...Loose what I loose tol keep what I can keep,/ The strong root still alive under the snow,/ Love will endure- if I can let you go."

by May Sarton

What beautiful words! what an important concept!

We so often distort ourselves and throw ourselves completely out of balance by trying to hold on to something or someone that needs to go or is already gone - a job, a thing, a person, a life.

Expecting that anything will last forever is one of the more dangerous things we do to ourselves. How much of our time and energy is spent in trying to hold on?

We don't just try to hold on to people. We try to hold on to things.

We need to to let ourselves remember that things wear out, break and get lost. That's just the way it is. Jobs wear out, break, and get lost.

We can shift our perspective. we can be greatful for the experience and time we had and let go of the person or thing.

Celebrate the pleasure. Celebrate the experience. Celebrate the sharing. And then accept the lost and let go.

In the process, we may shift our perceptions and our expectations.

See if there are persons, experiences, objects, jobs, or relationships you are holding on to that are finished.

Are you ready to let go?

I found this on the latest meditation book I'm reading and I thought it would be helpful for all of us.

TAKE CARE EVERYONE!!!!

Hey Rosa, thanks for sharing that with us. You are truly an 'enlightened' one. Yes, we should be ready to let go. That's one of the common flaws, always wanting to take control of situations (such as heartaches). When we feel that we have less control, we try to grasp and make sense of things, by holding on. It's time to let go of our pain, and accept consequences for what they are.

I'm glad that you realize this. Thanks again! Cheerio! Mahlina

Your post reminds me of this Hindu analogy that my one of my bestfriends gave me. She's Indian, from the Gupta clan, but this is how the saying goes,

"When we're born, we clench up our hands,

cry, curl up and cling out of desperation. We're want control,

We try to make sense of this world."

"When we die, our palms are open.

We let go. We accept the fact that we don't have control.

We gain wisdom...."

So true, isn't it? What a beautiful analogy! That's just a part of being human. Sometimes we have to just let go, go with the flow. Ride along the path of whatever hurdles life throws at us, and try to maintain inner peace. Thank you for taking the time out to share with us your insightful post. It's intellegent, and gives us something to think about.

that's such an interesting view of life, and it is soooo true, I'm glad that I can share these feelings because I once was in the dumpster, and it wasn't pretty, I thought I would never get thru it. and I can truly say that its not even the time I've let pass made me feel better, its been the NC rule that has kept my feelings stronger everyday.

I never thought that a site like this would teach me so much about life, emotions and specially people, and how we are not alone....

I strongly recomend to anyone this book called "Meditations for Living in balance" by Anne Wilson Schaef"

one of the best I've had the chance to read.

I hope everyone can enjoy it as much as I have!!!!

God bless...

I couldn't help it but to respond again. I know how the pain feels. I think that you're handling it quite gracefully. Here's another book to think about. This book helped me a whole lot, after my break-up:

image removed

This book is like my bible. I love it! What caught my attention is the fact that the author is actually an American Jewish, but found his own path of enlightenment, elsewhere (more specifically with the Tibetan monks). He earned his title as a 'Lama.' What's really admirable is the fact that he's just a regular Joe, graduated from UCBerkeley, and I think that he lives in Boston now. Anyway, this book not only offers wisdom, but other ways to look at life as well. He also adds in meditation techniques. I don't have the time to actually sit down and do them, but his little quotes, comments, phrases, and stories are 'soothing' to read. His book isn't meant for just one sitting, but more like picking it up here and there, once in a while, whenever you do need answers and enlightenment. His advices are genuine, intelligent, understanding, compassionate, and insightful!

Instead of buying "Chicken Soup for the Soul," his book offers more wisdom than that. At least he offers us some sort of a 'rational' perspective of why we face pain and human suffering in life in general.

Besides, being Catholic, I don't think that it hurts to open up to other people's perception and interpretation of life. Sometimes, I think that some people have this jaded, false, misconception of true happiness.

-They go through heartaches with dishonest people, people who are selfish & can careless. (wanting something that they can't have)

-Invest into material objects to maintain a certain 'image' to boast to the world. (egotism)

-Find happiness in all of the wrong places.

True happiness is from within. It's not about relying on someone else for our personal happiness. Nor is it not the material objects that buy happiness. It's that realization/inner-peace that's felt from within. I think that the Tibetan wisdom is beautiful. Some people think that it's more like a 'cult,' or reading it may be brainwash. (That's probably why they're so miserable! Hehe. J/K! ) But I think that reading these books truly helps us to find happiness/harmony amongst ourselves.

You might also want to try reading up on books by the Dalai Lama. I'd die to meet this guy someday! Whenever he visits college campuses, his tickets are always sold out. However, feel free to read his books. He's been my own personal mentor (book wise) O and role model. I hope that he will be yours too, or anyone else who's willing to learn from him.

Once again, thank you Rosa,

Your post is truly intriguing!

Take Care,

Mahlina