staying sober

I need some tips for staying sober. I have terrible anxiety so I cope a lot by using alcohol or some prescrip drugs to chill out (some prescribed, some not) I am just trying to get back to my extremely healthy lifestyle (working out 6 days a week, running 8 miles mutliple times blahblah)

I know it's jsut about willpower but I honestly just don't like/am bored sober. I also drove under very questionable circumstances which is OBVIOUSLY not cool.

I'm not looking for people to tell me how bad I suck for risking my life and others, but people who can be inspiring and helpful.

Thank you.

Well for one thing, I think that if you get back into the running, it will reinforce itself some by the endorphins released and the natural high you can get from running. I really do believe that exercise is one of the best things you can do for anxiety and depression - although taking those first steps to do so can be hard.

Also, maybe just try not to put yourself into situations where you know there is going to be a lot of drinking if you want to remain sober. If there are certain people who you tend to drink more with, maybe question whether you should see them in a different type of setting rather than one that is conducive to drinking.

Don't test yourself. I did that a lot, always trying to see how strong my willpower was. Remove/hide the booze and pills. You don't have anything to prove. It's ok if you feel weak when you've got the substances readily available.

Increase your social support system. 12 step programs, sober friends, etc. Reduce contact with other people who are alcoholic or abuse it. Ease up on those relationships, at least for now. People who regularly abuse or do not support you aren't what you need right now. It's difficult to get sober when it's in your face. Honestly, consider a recovery program. They're invaluable.

Take care of yourself. You've got to treat the underlying anxiety, as that's a trigger for you. If you are against meds, consider some therapy. I have had panic disorder and generalized anxiety since I was a young teen, these are some of the things I use to control/cope with it -

Progressive Muscle Relaxation

link removed

Breathing properly is crucial. Pay attention to it when you're anxious. You'll find it's shallow and short.

link removed

Guided Imagery

I used to have my old anxiety therapist record scenarios for me. She had this beautiful Irish lilt and combined with the imagery it was so soothing to me.

Exercise regularly. I cannot stress that enough.

Keep busy. When I was recovering I had no idea what the hell to do with myself, as I had spent all my free time drinking. Explore new hobbies. Go somewhere you haven't before. Bring your sober friends with.

Set small and large goals. Give yourself an incentive to stay sober today, a week from now, 6 months from now.

Join a recovery forum. Talk with others who have been in your shoes.

How often do you cope with alcohol and/or pills? Once a week, twice....?? Depends on how often you are relying on these to help you relax. If the frequency is consistent, and you are doing it more often then before, you need to gradually taper off if possible and reduce the frequency. That would be a good start.

Thank you for the suggestions. I also work at a bar and the liquor can be free, maybe not the best environment but I can say no.

I try not to abuse my prescription because i want to have it and want it to work when i really need to. I have a pretty high tolerance. it's not crazy partying (Thats actually when i stay most sober, is when i go out.... when i'm at home or my best friends i over drink) I would say 5-6 nights a week. Minimum is 1/2-3/4 a bottle of wine.... 4-6 beers... or some mixed drinks.

I have been wanting to cut back for along time now, so i don't know how well tapering off would go.

Archived