Help On Giving 2 Week Notice

I am leaving the store job to go work for my dad. I was suppose to give my 2 week notice today but didn't.

The store owner showed up and she seemed stressed and the manger was busy so I held my tonuge. Today was order day so I was helping with that.

I felt like by telling them I would be adding to their stressful day,... Tomorrow I have to though, I can't keep waiting it out and making it harder on me and them.

I am scared I will end up not doing it tomorrow eaither. I need some advice and encouragement or something.... To get me going with this.

Don't be afraid, just give it and move on.

However, I want to tell you that from my experience working for your dad is going to be one of the big mistakes of your life. You're going to hate it. I'm so glad I'm going to law school because I can't stand working with my family any longer.

Imagine you do something wrong at work. Your manager tells you off and it ends there at work. With family? Nope. You're having dinner at home? It comes up. Driving to work with your dad again? It'll come up. And so on. And everyone will know about it.

lol

Don't be afraid, just give it and move on.

However, I want to tell you that from my experience working for your dad is going to be one of the big mistakes of your life. You're going to hate it. I'm so glad I'm going to law school because I can't stand working with my family any longer.

Imagine you do something wrong at work. Your manager tells you off and it ends there at work. With family? Nope. You're having dinner at home? It comes up. Driving to work with your dad again? It'll come up. And so on. And everyone will know about it.

lol

Yeah I am prepared for any neagative comments from my dad that might come my way... My sister hates it so I know all about it already...

I am ok with this and know what to expect, all I know is that tomorrow I gotta get up the courage and do it

Try writing out your resignation in a short letter.

Dear manager,

I wish to announcement my resignation from effective . It's been a pleasure working with you and I wish you and the company all the best in the future.

Sincerely

Just make it nice and short and sweet. Then you can hand this to your manager and just say "Hey, just wanted to let you know that I have an opportunity to work with my dad and so I'm going to be resigning." It doesn't have to be any more complicated than this.

Try writing out your resignation in a short letter.

Dear manager,

I wish to announcement my resignation from effective . It's been a pleasure working with you and I wish you and the company all the best in the future.

Sincerely

Just make it nice and short and sweet. Then you can hand this to your manager and just say "Hey, just wanted to let you know that I have an opportunity to work with my dad and so I'm going to be resigning." It doesn't have to be any more complicated than this.

That is a good idea, but would a letter be considered unprofessional by some employers?

That is a good idea, but would a letter be considered unprofessional by some employers?

Not at all. In fact many employers require a resignation to ultimately be delivered in writing so they can prove that you quit and they didn't fire you.

Most etiquette folks will strongly suggest that you submit a letter, so no, it's not unprofessional. It's done so that you have hard copy on file to prove that you quit and weren't fired.

But you can't just hand them a letter and walk away. There needs to be some in-person explanation.

I wish people would stop saying how I am going to hate working with my dad. I have worked with him before, so I know how much of a jerk he can be. I know I will get through this though because I already know how to do the work.

Maybe that type of thread will show up or not, I guess we will have to stay tuned and see.

Archived