Homesickness in long-distance relationships

Hey, thankyou to anyone who can offer any advice or thoughts on this matter. About 6 months ago I met my current partner online, and i've truly fallen in love with him. He's everything I could have hoped for in a partner, the only problem is that he lives about 90 miles away, and as a result we don't often get the chance to see each other. However, this is a bit of a minor problem in context. Although I miss him alot, i'm having problems fully enjoying the time I do see him.

At the moment I visit him and spend nights whenever possible, whilst it's difficult for him to visit me due to the lack of space at my current home, and the fact that i share with some unsupportive people. That said, i'll be moving soon, so I hope he can visit more often in the future. But for the moment I travel to see him and spend time with him. The problem is I always get a horrible sense of homesickness whenever i'm away from home. Although it has improved slightly, I still don't feel fully comfortable or familiar with his home, and so often visit feeling somewhat uncertain of myself. The few times he was able to visit me, I never felt such doubt or uncertainty - so i'm trying to reassure myself that it's just the homesickness, and not anything more profound. I really do love him, honestly and genuinly. But the unfamiliarity of his home, and the absense of my own home and my own routine, often scares the living daylights out of me.

Is this at all normal, or is there a real problem here that I need to sort out? If anyone has any advice, i'd be hugely appreciative xx

It sure does sound like homesickness. Tell me, have you spent a lot of time away from your home otherwise? It sounds like you just miss your home and own routine when you're at his house and that there's nothing really wrong with him or his place, just that you miss your own.

I haven't spent much time away from home before, I have to admit. I've never been that outgoing either, so this is a somewhat big thing for me. Thankyou, though, I just needed to hear someone else think something similar. I hate feeling so out of place when i'm at his home, because I feel really good being with him, I just miss everything that's familiar to me. I've only been to his home a few times now, do you think maybe the homesickness will subside if I go more often?

Archived