In danger of flunking out of grad. school...

This is really frustrating. Like REALLY frustrating. I've only ever failed one other class in my life, and that was a college-level math class that I had to take to graduate from my university. And, as it turns out, a big reason why I failed that class was because the professor was terrible; when I re-took it, I passed with a B-.

Sorry. I'm just trying to make myself feel better about this crappy, crappy situation.

I just completed (in a manner of speaking) my second semester of grad. school, and for the second semester in a row, I failed one of my classes. During fall, the class I "failed" was a core class, so anything below a B is a failing grade.

I was five points shy of a B, so I failed.

This last semester, I had another full-time course load, and was utterly overwhelmed. One of the classes was HEAVILY mathematics based, we got almost no support/instruction from the professor (and I wasn't the only person struggling), and after suffering for over half the semester, I just gave up. It was too late to drop the course, and the way my assignments were turning out, I knew I wasn't going to get a B, so failure was imminent.

Anyway. Because I've only taken six classes so far, that F in this most recent class decimated my GPA. I just got an email from the academic advisor, informing me that I'm on academic hold because my GPA is below a 3.0.

Right now, I'm kinda in shock. I've NEVER been in this position before. At this point, they want me to drop the two other classes I'm signed up for this fall, and re-take the one I just failed. In addition, I have to submit an exception request form, which is just a fancy way of saying I need to submit a form begging them not to kick me out, and let me complete the program.

Ugh.

I don't want to send in some sob story, because really, a big reason why I'm in this situation is simply because I overwhelmed myself by working full-time AND going to school full-time. If I'd only had to deal with JUST that math-based class without also taking two other labor-intensive courses, I might have been able to swing a B. But with all of that stacked up against me, things just imploded like a crappily built house of cards.

So, I don't know...I know I'm rambling, but having never been in this situation before, I don't know how to handle this. They've requested that I submit any relevant documentation to help "substantiate" my case, but really, what kinda documentation can I find that proves: a) I'm really a good student, all things considered; and b) if they allow me to continue part-time (as I was already planning) I'll be in a better position to handle the course load.

I mean, there are also some (minor) health issues on my part, and major health issues among family members that I've been contending with, but those really aren't the main reasons why I did so poorly this last semester.

Has anyone here been in this situation before? How did you handle it, and how did things turn out in the end?

I'm hoping that my other grades will help them decide in my favor since, during fall semester, I got an A, A- and a B-; and this last semester, I got an A, an A- and the now-infamous F. So, I mean, my grades aren't terrible overall; the main problem (in retrospect) is that I bit off more than I could/can chew by going to school full-time.

Any help?

I know how you feel! I failed out after one semester of grad school... but my life is looking up tremendously...so read on!

First, did you move to a new location for graduate school? Do you have a social network of people you can call upon for help/love/trust during your stressful times?

Second, do you have a romantic relationship that may be affecting your school performance

Third, is your school known for being particularly difficult?

1) I indeed moved out of state for grad school and had zero close friends to help me deal with stress

2) I had a crumbling romantic relationship

3) My school was actually pretty moderate so this wasn't an issue for me.

You have options- my professors asked me, before it was too late, if there was anything they could do to help ensure my sucess. I told them there wasn't - because all of the things in my life affecting my school were not related to school, so they honestly couldn't do anything.

However, maybe your situation is different and there is something they can do? Graduate schools are much more picky about who they admit - they want to see you succeed, so maybe ask if you can take a part time class schedule next semester?

If that doesn't work, consider cutting down on work hours or work completely. Accept the fact that you may need to go into debt with student loans in order to achieve this goal of yours. I know it's nice to work and have the money and not take out loans, but if it keeps you from succeeding then look at how much bigger of a price you're paying.

P.S. Even though I failed out, I am starting the same degree (diff school) this fall. So even if the road you're on has cracks in it..never give up

I know how you feel! I failed out after one semester of grad school... but my life is looking up tremendously...so read on!

First, did you move to a new location for graduate school? Do you have a social network of people you can call upon for help/love/trust during your stressful times?

Second, do you have a romantic relationship that may be affecting your school performance

Third, is your school known for being particularly difficult?

Thanks for the reply. In response to your questions, no I didn't move to a new location for graduate school; I'm actually doing my degree online, which was/is an attractive feature for me because I was able to keep my current job. Right now, I work in my future career field, and work experience is super important to getting a job after graduating. I DID, however, leave all of my college friends behind in another city, so while I'm near my family, my social circle is non-existent here--that's not much of an "excuse" though, since I moved in 2008 and didn't start grad school until 2009.

No romantic relationship to speak of, so that's a non-issue.

And, no, my school isn't known for being particularly challenging. My main issues, as I mentioned above, are that I took on too many classes with regard to my work schedule and just completely burned myself out. I mean, I was craving spring break by the end of January, and once it was over, I was just mentally limp, if that makes sense. I had to force myself back into the motions of doing homework and all of that; and even then, it wasn't enough to save me from failing a class. At the time, I'd planned to get a tutor, but I literally had NO reasonable time during which I could meet with a tutor because I was either always at work, or doing homework.

This time around, if they let me continue, I'm DEFINITELY getting a tutor. I guess that's something I should mention in my "please don't kick me out" letter, huh?

When I was in grad school (just graduated not too long ago) I had major health issues. I found I could not work (I had a few part time jobs working on campus) and also go to school full time. I had to give up my jobs and just focus on school. I'm not sure even if I had been healthy that I would have been able to handle doing both.

I think a lot of grad students find it hard to both work and go to school full time. A full course load in grad school is pretty intense (compared to undergrad classes). Most people in grad school that I know either go to school full time and worked part time or didn't work at all. Or they go to school part time and then work full time. A few people work full time and go to school full time (and some even have kids) but it really depends on the person; many people get burned out and can't handle doing both full time.

You seem to have already decided what to do (take less classes), which is a good idea.

Also, like most grad students, you probably are short on time, but I advise finding the time to do something relaxing once or twice a week (it can be as simple as taking a nice long bath, reading a good book, meditating, or doing your favorite hobby, spending time with friends, etc). Something to recharge yourself.

I think it might be a good idea to do what they advise: to consider retaking the class you failed. (Was this class a core class?)

Good luck in writing your letter. (I would definitely mention your other grades, your health, and also that you plan to retake the class, and also go to school part time, and that you plan to get a tutor. I think all those things show that though you had a little bit of trouble, you are a good student, and are willing to work hard to complete your studies).

You just need to explain to them that you are trying to take a full course load while working, and have learned it is too much and would like to switch back to taking only one course at a time when you are taking the hard math classes.

They frequently will put you on probation until you've passed that class you failed, and reinstate you once you've passed it. But you probably need to ramp back to only taking one or two classes at most while working full time. Graduate classes expect more from you than undergraduate, so taking one class is more like taking 2 undergraduate classes in terms of work. Better to slow down and pass, than try to hurry and get kicked out.

You just need to explain to them that you are trying to take a full course load while working, and have learned it is too much and would like to switch back to taking only one course at a time when you are taking the hard math classes.

They frequently will put you on probation until you've passed that class you failed, and reinstate you once you've passed it. But you probably need to ramp back to only taking one or two classes at most while working full time. Graduate classes expect more from you than undergraduate, so taking one class is more like taking 2 undergraduate classes in terms of work. Better to slow down and pass, than try to hurry and get kicked out.

Yep, I agree. When I started grad school, my goal was to just get it done. I didn't want to be in school for another three or four years, because the sooner I get my master's done, the sooner I can start in a professional position--with a significant pay increase.

Still, you make a good point that it makes more sense to slow down and do it right, than to rush through and put myself in crappy situations like this. It's kinda weird, though, because I don't even think I consciously realized how badly I was burning myself out. I mean, I knew that, at times, I just didn't want to do homework, much less be in grad. school, but I was in this stress-induced fog and didn't even realize it.

Right now, I'm making up one class this summer, and it hasn't started yet, so I've had a ton of free time to do whatever I want (outside of work), and it's such a treat to come home and be able to turn on the TV, or even have a conversation with my friends/family without feeling guilty because I should be doing homework.

The world just feels brighter and better now that I'm not drowning in school work. I'm in the process of writing my "please don't kick me out," letter, so hopefully, if I explain things well, they'll let me continue the program part-time.

Yes, it'll take me another semester or two to finish, but, from where I'm standing right now, it's totally worth it.

Good for you! You do need sufficient rest and recreation, so you're doing the right thing.

If you just emphasize in your letter you were trying to rush thru and bit off more than you could chew and are cutting back to a manageable courseload, they'll probably be fine with it.

Good luck!

Archived