Are generic forms of medication as effective?

I always end up with the generic versions - my plan will not cover "name brands" if there is a generic version available. I have never had an issue with it, nor did I notice a difference when I was "swapped" a generic version for my original prescription (lamictal for lamotragine).

There's not supposed to be a difference, but there can be....even between generics, depending on the manufacturer. I currently take the Watson version of Wellbutrin and it doesn't seem to work as well, but it's not nearly as bad as the Teva version (which didn't seem to work AT ALL). I think a majority of issues arise when you switch from the brand name to the generic with some meds. I've always taken the generic version of Xanax and never had an issue, but when I switched from Wellbutrin SR & Topamax to the generic versions, it seemed like they weren't working as well and I was having a bunch of side effects that I didn't have before (the worst of all being weight gain). At first, I thought it was just another bipolar cycle, but when I ran out of the generics and took some of the brand that I still had, I immediately started feeling better. I got my next refill and got worse again. Some people have suggested that it's all "in my head," but I have taken generic versions of other meds with no issue (even switched from brand to generic), it just seems that these two aren't the same for me.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone reacts to medication differently. Just because one of us does/doesn't notice a difference doesn't mean you will/won't.

I should also add that I'm pretty sensitive to medications and don't always react the way I "should." An example is that Benadryl, which is supposed to have a sedating effect, makes me hyper unless I take 4 pills. I also do not get sleepy with codeine and most sleeping meds do not work for me, but 'non-drowsy' versions of medicines can knock me out

Archived