Short-Term Renting. Help needed :)

Saffron_

I'm thinking about moving to a new town not too far away from where I work but far enough for me to be unsure about the move. So anyways, what I was hoping to do was rent in the area short term to see whether or not it suits. The thing is, I've never rented a place short term before and I don't know how short a rental agreement I can get. I'm looking for something no longer than 6 months (6 month rentals aren't too hard to find) but preferably around 3-4 months. Can you get a 3 month rental agreement? I've found small selection of agencies that have short term properties but they don't mention the length of time so I guess I'll have to phone up tomorrow. But before I do, if anyone here knows, that'd be great. I'm in the UK (Scotland).

BTW I didn't know where to post this so I chose here. Probably shoulda been 'off topic' but i doubt I'd get many responses there.

Does link removed have a UK partner site?

It really depends on the apartment building... My complex offers month-to-month, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month.

You might have the best luck subletting from someone who is looking to find a renter short-term. Check classified ads and all that. I really don't know much about apartment hunting in the UK as my boyfriend was already set up when I moved in.

Your best bet will probably be renting from an individual person, and not a big building.

Yeah a lot of places here have month-to-month, 3month, 6month, 12month leases. One thing is the longer the lease the cheaper the rent. So month-to-month and 3month can get fairly pricey, depending on the locale. Sub-letting is a good option but watch what you sign and your rights, or lack thereof.

Yeah a lot of places here have month-to-month, 3month, 6month, 12month leases. One thing is the longer the lease the cheaper the rent. So month-to-month and 3month can get fairly pricey, depending on the locale. Sub-letting is a good option but watch what you sign and your rights, or lack thereof.

I can't decide whether to just get a 6 month let, which'd be easy but would mean 6 months in somewhere I might not like (I don't know anyone there and it's pretty far from friends/family), or just take on say 3 months which'd be long enough to decide if I liked the place, but not so long that if I hated it I'd get fed up.

Also, I don't know which sites to look up for short term rentals. I've been looking at rightmove, s1 homes, gspc, citylets etc but the majority of properties are long term (6 months+). Gumtree has a few which are mainly sublets but unfortunately there are very few in the area I'm looking for.

JW are you in the US?

It really depends on the apartment building... My complex offers month-to-month, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month.

Your best bet will probably be renting from an individual person, and not a big building.

A few people are saying you can get 3 month leases which'd be ideal. Now I just gotta find them.

Archived