Can someone give me tips,clues etc etc in getting a job!

One thing that is frustrating for me is when I fill out applications is that it automatically asks you your work experience. I have very little work experience and I've only had one job in my lifetime and that was working at walmart. Currently I'm in college and I just need a part time job to make some money. I haven't had any luck with the numerous jobs I've applied for. I think I've applied for everything you can imagine in my area and I still haven't gotten a call from anybody..

I'm a little stumped as to what else I can do. My resume looks pretty shabby because of my lack of work experience. No one seems to want to give me a chance and I seriously need some money because I am tired of being broke all of the time. Plus I really want to be more independent and stop relying on my parents for money because they are going through their own personal issues as well and I feel I am a burden.

So if anyone have tips,websites,clues anything that can help me in landing a job. I really appreciate it! I stay in Atlanta Georgia for anyone who wants to know.

spice up your resume, its not about what you did but how you can accurately describe it. instead of saying "i stocked shelves" say "i monitored the frequency at which the items were placed" really explain what you did in detail like that....

try to make your resume fill up one page, put down volenteer work also if you have some and if you don't volenteer somewhere like a grassroots and put that on your resume...i only worked for grassroots for 2 days but it got me the job i got now so go for it

spice up your resume, its not about what you did but how you can accurately describe it. instead of saying "i stocked shelves" say "i monitored the frequency at which the items were placed" really explain what you did in detail like that....

try to make your resume fill up one page, put down volenteer work also if you have some and if you don't volenteer somewhere like a grassroots and put that on your resume...i only worked for grassroots for 2 days but it got me the job i got now so go for it

I suppose I can put in some volunteer work even though I did that once a long time ago with my mom working at a homeless shelter. The last time I've worked was back in 2007 at Walmart and I miss it so much. I've had 2 interviews afterwards that didn't go very well.

To be honest, Im really tired of filling in application after application. I've gotten very lazy about it but I will have to keep trying.

Try attaching a covering letter with your application to these places. In the covering letter focus on your skills, abilities, character, personality, ethusiasm and education goals. A cover letter is always a great way to stand out from the dozens of other applications that probably didn't have one attached to them. Writing a covering letter is easy (just google "cover letter" and you'll get guidance on how to prepare it) and it really makes the difference.

i would look into internships that are related to your major and the field you'd eventually like to get into. a lot of them aren't paid, so it won't really help with your immediate financial situation, but it will pay off in the long run by giving you relevant experience. you'll be able to get a good job and you won't have to rely on your parents anymore. in my opinion, this should be your priority, but i'm sure if you keep looking you'll be able to find some other part-time work.

definitely look into internships though because plenty of companies are willing to give you the experience you need. who knows, you might even find one that pays.

^^ agreed with internships.

don't forget to mention volunteer experience or maybe some work you have done that could help show your good qualities. like if you are very involved in a theater group and you were the one who did the costumes or something else that shows organizational skills.

Agreed with using action words showing what you accomplished. vs. "i stocked shelves"

ahh so many of us have been there. with the economy the way it is it makes it even harder. yes, spice up your resume however you can. don't lie or anything but possibly word it to make menial tasks sound highly professional. also if you're in college have you looked into trying to find a job on campus?

Archived