College Transcript with not so good grades

AJEDrew7

So, I graduate college in May. Well, if my depression and concentrations problems don't get in the way (which they have been). Anyways, that's besides the point. I'm going for more schooling after, but I was just curious...How much does getting bad grades effect your chances of getting a job (especially with the economy the way it is) ? Like, I've gotten probably 4 D's over my college career and my GPA isn't very high (Like 2.7 on a 4 scale I think)...but only a 2.3 for my major. I'm an engineering major so its not the easiest. Thoughts...?

I know for an engineering major they want you to get really good grades.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you though...

I have ADHD and learning difficulties in math so thats always held me back.

I am in my 2nd year right now, have a 2.50 over all (time to bring it up though!)

But I fell below a 2.0 last semester so I really have to get my act together this semester.

And it's ALL because of math, I wish I could find something to fix this problem=/

I think the main importance of it though is that you GET a degree.

I would like to get my gpa to a 3.0, it needs to be around that for the FBI.

I mean, I'm going to more school to specialize more and get another degree but I was hoping to get a job that would pay for further schooling. I know I need to do well there so that a future employer may not weigh so much on my bad grades now. Especially since you can't tell your employer "Oh, I had concentration and depression problems while I was in school that's why I did so bad". That doesn't exactly cut it.

My boyfriend is in engineering too and doesn't have stellar grades. Fortunately, his program included co-op. And all his co-ops LOVED him. If one of his co-ops don't hire him after graduation, he can at least use them as great references.

If your program doesn't include co-op automatically I would try to co-op on your own. Experience is just as important (if not more so) than grades.

And in my opinion grades are only really important for that first job or two out of college...after you've been in the work force for a while nobody cares what your GPA was.

So I would just try to find other ways you can prove to future employers that despite your grades, you really did learn the material can do the job asked of you.

Well, grades definitely matter. You are competing with other engineer-degree-holders. If they have a stellar GPA, the only way you'd get the job is if you can somehow pull up another angle. Did you have a job during this time? Did you socialize and gain useful connections?

If not, I'd definitely still go into the job market but have a back-up plan.

I have never heard of employers looking at your transcript or GPA.

They only care about what degrees you hold (as per the requirement for job or your salary) and then after that it's all about YOU and your work ethic and personality.

Generally speaking people will put "Deans List" or "Graduated with Distinction" if they received it and try to work it in on the interview for their first several job interviews. However, NO employer (unless they themselves are fresh graduates) will notice this if it is not there...

I graduate in May as well, in engineering. I feel I got my job because I had a particular skill set the company was looking for. That said, over the last five years, I have put a lot of effort into gaining valuable skill sets that were outside of the typical curriculum.

I know it's difficult, with the economy the way it is. The unfortunate reality is, there aren't as many jobs as there are prospective employees. Still, engineering is the best field you can be in right now. Therefore, my recommendation is to find some unique skill set (a) that will make you more employable, and (b) that you enjoy. Finding that skill set will be the challenge, but when you do, it'll be a winning combination. You may have to compromise on the latter criteria for the time being, as well.

Lastly, it seems to me that work ethic and personality/outlook are very important considerations as well. I have seen somewhat sour but very qualified graduates turned down.

Good luck!

I have never heard of employers looking at your transcript or GPA.

They only care about what degrees you hold (as per the requirement for job or your salary) and then after that it's all about YOU and your work ethic and personality.

Generally speaking people will put "Deans List" or "Graduated with Distinction" if they received it and try to work it in on the interview for their first several job interviews. However, NO employer (unless they themselves are fresh graduates) will notice this if it is not there...

Of course I'm not an engineer.... but this is more what I've experienced as well....

For academic internships... GPA, transcripts, any grade-based distinctions will appear on the resume/CV and be noticed. Otherwise, it is more about just having the degree and beyond that it is a skillset.

They want to know you HAVE an education... and then they want to know what specifically you can do, and how much experience you have.

A big help is also who you know... who can recommend you.

Honestly.. where GPA is going to hit you the hardest is continuing schooling.

Archived