Need professional mentoring from someone who I don't have to impress.

Lucy__lou

So I've had some success finding mentors to seek guidance from in my career, (I'm in the early stages of my professional career), but everyone I've found for this has been someone who I inevitably need to impress, so I can't get all the advice I really need because I have to omit information which would show up my weaknesses.

I have a lot of things about me which are less than impressive, weaknesses which I need to learn to overcome, or circumvent, but if I tell my mentors about them, it may impact my career negatively.

So where do I look for a professional in my industry who I can be honest with. Who can give me advice, and not judge me to my detriment?

any suggestions welcome.

Hello Lucy,

Hope all is well on the work front. I'd start with 3 places:

1) the placement office of your college; they come accross many contacts in the course of helping people find jobs and internships. I'd make an appointment to meet someone there in person to review your resume and outline what kind of relationship you seek. They may be able to schedule some information interviews for you with people in your field of interest.

2) groups or associations of retired professionals; they have a few different kinds here in the states, and I've tapped them to seek help with my thesis. They might be able to suggest matches with people within their orgs, or at least suggest other avenues for your search.

3) join professional associations for your line of work; they host networking meetings, workshops, etc. If they can't fix you up with someone directly, they might at least be a good avenue to meet new friends who could either mentor you or help you find a good match.

If I come up with other thoughts, I'll come back.

My best,

Cat

definitely consider getting in touch with a staffing agency. yeah, they do hiring for other firms, but its not the direct HR dept of a firm with whom you'd work. if you get a good contact at a staffing agency, they can be open and honest about what they think would be a good fit for you... and they'll talk to you like a person, if their a good firm, because they want to establish a relationship with you that goes beyond the one offer they might at first have for you.

Archived