Work-related Stress

Rozzy85

Lately I've been suffering from a lot of stress mainly caused by a job change at work. This has never happened to me before and I feel overwhelmed by it. The biggest problem it is causing me is sleeping problems. Last night I just could not sleep and must have got just 2-hours and I fear the same will happen tonight. I also feel constaintly agitated and nervous. This has been happening for about the last two weeks but it has worsened significantly just now. I've also been getting a tighness feeling in my chess. I feel so trapped by it and unable to find a solution to it.

I've been a worryer all my life but never to this extent. My new job role is dealing with customers and sales for a online shop. The work load isn't much but its the type of work that is causing the problems. I feel a constant pressure to see to the needs of the customers and management even if I'm not pressured to do so. The job is always on my mind and it's reacking havoc with my personal life. I really is something I don't like doing and I was happy with my previous role. I never volunteered for it and I feel it was kind of forced on me. I'm also worried about the impacts of my physical health.

I'm thinking of going to see a GP about my problem. I feel I've hit a brick wall and have no where else to turn to.

I have been tempted to but I was put of with the fear of looking weak and unable to cope with a job that some people can easily deal with. I thought I should just 'man up' and deal with it. I haven't spoken to anyone else about it so its been all bottled up and feeling alone about it which has properly made it worst.

I've booked an appointment with a GP this afternoon so I'll see how it goes.

I have been tempted to but I was put of with the fear of looking weak and unable to cope with a job that some people can easily deal with. I thought I should just 'man up' and deal with it. I haven't spoken to anyone else about it so its been all bottled up and feeling alone about it which has properly made it worst.

I've booked an appointment with a GP this afternoon so I'll see how it goes.

That is the thing - SOME people can easily cope with it, but you ain't one of them.

I have had brilliant people working for me and on occasion, I have wanted to progress them but they just haven't settled into the new roll. It is not a weakness - it is just you.

See what the doc says tho, eh?

Clabs has some good input, but also, remember that this could be something you can work on. Some things you might consider are the following:

1.) Establish a work-life balance. People like who stress a lot outside of work have yet to learn how to do this. Why this is, who knows, but one thing you should practice is not answering e-mails or phone calls during the weekends (if you don't work on the weekends, that is) or whenever you don't work. That time is yours--not the company or the customers.

2.) Try to normalize your workday. If you do it now, stop working odd or extreme hours. No more 10 or 12-hour workdays. I know, I know--you need the money--we all do, but unless you need it so badly to the point to where you're willing to go through all this stress, I would back off a bit and again, establish some boundaries.

3.) Smart people work smarter--not harder. If your response process takes a lot out of you, then you need to refactor the way your specific business pattern is ran. What ways can you mitigate your expenses, reduce time spent on 'x', 'y', and 'z' phases, etc. Think smart!

4.) Do you oversee anyone? If so, DELEGATE!

5.) Get out more when on your time. Go do things and relish in your spoils.

6.) If none of the above works and talking to your manager does nothing, then it may be time to begin seeking alternate employment. Never let this freak you out because there are worse things than not having a job for awhile--trust me... Remember unemployment benefits, too...

Keep your chin up. Step outside the box and escape that dark place you're in. Nobody is meant to live in misery.

Are there any other peers in the same role? If so, I'd start with them. Ask the ones you most admire for lunch or coffee to interview them about tips and tricks they use to manage their jobs and their own perceptions of their performance. If no other peers are in this role, ask your manager(s) for same interview.

If you view these meetings as a plain ol' training and quality improvement exercise, you'll view yourself as proactive rather than weak--and that's the image you'll project.

I've read from multiple sources (hah! or maybe the same source repeated in multiple articles) that it takes an average MINIMUM of 6 months to learn and develop skills and comfort with a new job, no matter the level of the job. Given that you're already a high-anxiety person, please take some comfort in that, and don't sell yourself short too quickly.

Ensure that you are not spinning this into something beyond your control unnecessarily. There are as many ways to talk yourself calm as there are ways to wind yourself up--make smart choices in how you use your own mind.

Ask GP for a referral to counseling therapy--especially if he/she prescribes meds. Getting a mental health prescription from a GP is like getting a heart assessment from a podiatrist. See someone who specializes in the mental side of managing stress.

In your corner.

There are a number of books written about this sort of thing. I suggest taking a few hours to hang out at your local bookstore, have some coffee, and skim through them.

When I feel overwhelmed at work, I make an extra effort to keep the rest of my life running as smoothly as possible. I try to exercise, eat well, get enough sleep, and have some fun.

Hang in there! This will pass.

cami

I wish it was as easy as some of you say but I'm not a very strong minded person and easily let my emotions and feelings take control on me. This job isn't really a great job anyway so it seems a waste to try and keep it and adapting to cope. It's a low paying, dead end job and I probably should have left in search of a new job a long while ago but never had the enthusiasm. I don't see any point carrying on if it's just going to make me miserable all the time and stressed out.

I have a University degree which has so far been useless so I may as well try and make something of it. I have done things for the company through my own initiative to help with organising and speeding up processing things but I never received any benifits or recognition. I made a stock locating system to help workers locate things much quicker which has proberly saved many man hours up to now.

The thought of just quitting the job has relieved some of the stress. If lossing this job is the worst thing that can happen then it reality it doesn't seem that bad. I have saved up a fair bit of cash so I should be fine financially for a while.

The GP I saw prescribed me with some Prothiaden which is some anti-depressant. I'm not sure if they will make much difference but anything is worth a try.

I really appreciate the helps you guys have offered.

Archived