I got real closure today

After almost 2 months of solid NC, I got an email from my ex today.

It was strange to see his name in my inbox, he had dumped me several months earlier, and we hadn't talked at all in 8 weeks. I debated not replying at all, but I decided that for myself, I needed to.

I finally told him how much he had hurt me. I was polite, and nice, and straight-forward about it.

To my shock, he replied very quickly, and apologized for hurting me! Not only that, he wished me and my new boyfriend nothing but happiness, and he honestly meant it. He admitted he had been emotionally distant, and he wanted me to know that I really did mean something to him. He thanked me for being a part of his life.

I can't tell you how good it feels to have that final closure. I can finally let go of the pain and the hurt. I wished him and his new lady all the best, and that I hope he finds his own happiness.

Now I can move forward free of resentment, free of guilt, of wondering if I ever mattered at all. I did matter, and we did share something special. It is over now, but that doesn't mean it wasn't real at the time.

I can walk forward not hating him now. He doesn't hate me. He took responsibility for cheating on me, and for throwing me aside the way he did. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Now I can look towards the future with my current partner with a clear mind, lighter shoulders, and a full heart.

Thanks guys

I can't get over how much better I feel about the entire relationship now. He was easily the most emotionally closed person I had ever met, and to have this kind of outpouring from him, it was a real shock.

Going NC was absolutely the right thing to do. It gave us both time to move on with our lives, and I was in a good place when he finally did reach out to me.

Now we can both keep moving on, pursuing our own happiness, and not have any bitter feelings between us. I'm not interested in pursuing a friendship or anything, that's not what I want, and I don't think it's what he wants either. But for him to step up to the plate, admit he really screwed up and that he is genuinely sorry for the hurt he caused... that means a lot to me.

Archived