Substance Abuse

lifeiscash

well as the saying goes, the first step is recognizing you have a problem.

after that it is different for everyone. some people can do the 12 steps - for some it crushes their soul .... the best advice is take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

I would set goals for myself, can't have a beer for x many days, or until you have done something else positive in your life.

i mean, are you looking to quit completely, or get it under control? I don't drink at all, because of a family history of alcohol abuse - i know how impossible "under control" can be.

I work in the substance abuse treatment field and my dad is an alcoholic. The best thing I can tell you is to just slow down. Take every new day as a chance to accomplish a goal and go to sleep sober.

Every day just make a list of things you want to accomplish, no matter how small. The end of that list should always have "hit the pillow sober".

Work on getting those things done and build up the confidence that you can actually have control over your life! Right now it's probably overwhelming but if you take baby steps you'll get better.

Keep the people who love you around you, too. Don't push them away, they can help.

Archived