I'm freaking out about grad school!

Firiel

that really depends on the program you are accepted into. for some, it can be competitive, and for others, like science, once you are accepted into a lab, they pay you a stipend. the department might pay you while you find a lab. that is a good question to ask the department of the schools you are considering applying to.

Yeah, good point annie. I'm slated to do that Tues. I'll make sure to ask that.

• 2 weeks later...
With a Masters in English, your career options are basically to be some kind of teacher

Hmmm. Methinks I've maybe heard of, or even met just a few, people with outstanding careers who ain't got no Masters degree in anything at all.

Nothing wrong with getting that degree, but you need to do in context of understanding what your career options are when getting out.

Too many people get a degree and realize it doesn't always translate into a good career or job, depending on the degree.

The degree might get you a job. Only hard work, character, and a real education will get you anywhere meaningful.

In my case I made a ton of money before I went back to school. I hated my career and got a degree to change it. I ended up back in the same profession, accepted less pay and took better care of my whole life. Found that I liked my work, just valued the wrong things in life. The time off in school helped to get a better perspective on myself. As a bizarre offshoot, I also learned quite a bit - but the add'l education only enriched my brain and my soul, not my wallet.

Archived