Can We Measure It?

hey

i was just wondering everyones opinions one love, and whether you can measure it and the amount you feel for a person.

what do you think, is it possible to measure love?

i personally dont think that it is possible to measure love, because once you have that emotion that you feel for a person, you have it, you have all of love, and you have it to the max. i know that you can love someone until it physically hurts, maybe there are stages which you can build up on or maybe it all comes at once i dont know, what do you think?

any thoughts welcome

~LJ =;

Well, I would love to give you a link to something I posted here in the past as to what I believe love to be, but that last time I did that one of the mods told me not to do that because he though I was "pushing my religion on people" so to speak, so if you want to hear what I think on the topic just ask and I will hook you up.

Now as to your question as to whether or not you can measure love, that may be a little difficult in explaining unless I go into detail about what I believe love to be (once again if anyone wants to know just pm me and I'll be glad to give you a link). The simple answer in no you can't measure it because love is more of a true false question than a measurable quantity. You ether have it or you don't. There are no in-betweens.

I do have a problem with one thing you said (I'm going to have to go a bit into what I believe to address this). The definition of love that I know disqualifies it from being an emotion in and of itself. Being a Christian I find the definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13.

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails

If that is what love is, then how can it be an emotion? Emotions are not patient; they are only momentary and circumstantial. Emotions are very jealous. Emotions may time act unbecomingly, and always seeks its own. Emotions are by nature easily provoked and keep account of wrongs suffered because right and wrong are what they are based on. Most of all Emotions are always changing and will at some point fail. With those as my criteria for what love is do you see how I could have a problem exception love as an emotion? Now don't get me wrong love brings about emotion, but when you base any kind of relationship on that emotion, it's not love. It is very much lust as far as I'm concerned.

I think you either have it or you dont but I think there are different types of love. Love for friends and family is different than that for your partner. And it is expressed different ways. I dont know if that means one is loved more or it is just a different type of love. I personally love my family and friends but I feel i love my partner more. She means a lot more to me than any of the others

hey

thanks for responding to the both of you, bb i know where you are coming from i know the feeling of love for your family is different from a partner or friends. and nifty_swifty i really liked the way you spoke about love in your first post, i would like to see what you had writen before because i think you have some really good thoughts on love so if you could show them me that would be great

thanks again both of you

~LJ =;