Well it's like this. One of my friends is gay and he told me this about 2 yrs ago. We've known each other for about 3 or 4 years and I have no problem with it. He's a great person, in fact he's one of my best friends.

I'm mormon but I'm not a "practicing" mormon, I don't go to church and there are a lot of things that i dont believe about my religion..but thats beside the point.

I have mormon friends and I love them too but they recently found out that my friend is gay and now they're being very rude to him. (The LDS church believes homosexuality is a sin). They dont talk to him anymore, and when he's not around they say really hurtful things. They also think I shouldn't be friends with him anymore.

This REALLY REALLY pisses me off. The other day one girl told me he's on the path to hell and if i dont stop hanging out with him I'll just be going with him. I said some not so nice things to her, which im feeling guilty about, but im still really angry. They don't have any idea about him, they just automatically think he's a bad person.

Does anybody know what I should do?

Yes, you should tell your other 'friends' that it is not their place to judge your gay friend. And they have no right to impose their morals and beliefs on him or on you for choosing to remain friends with him.

Stand up for your friend. He can use your support. Your other friends are free not to associate with him if they choose - but what you do is YOUR business and not theirs.

avman

Thanks for replying. This is really hard for me because I kno hes sensitive about being gay in the first place and when they do this he tries to act like it doesnt bother him but i can tell it hurts him. He used to be friends with them, too. I just don't kno what to do sometimes He's become so depressed lately

Are there any gay youth groups in your area that your friend could go to? Maybe if he made some additional friends with some people who understand what he's going through he wouldn't feel so isolated and sensitive about his sexual orientation...

Your friend must feel very hurt and alone. I'm glad you are standing by him in spite of what these other people are doing.

actually there is a gay youth group and he's been to it a few times. I think it's really helping him. also, i think the reason hes so upset is his boyfriend just broke up with him. so added with all of the people who are being inconsiderate a holes and this, it's really hard for him.

i just wish i could make my friends see that they're wrong...but i dont think thats going to happen anytime soon...*sigh*

anyhow, thanks again for replying.

P.S. i was so glad the other day tho!!! he finally told his dad that he was gay and his dad gave him a hug (the first one in a few yrs, or so he says) and told him he was proud of him and that he'd always love him.

I commend you greatly for sticking by your friend. I too am from a religious background and of course with any religion, same sex relations are totally frowned upon. It's too bad, but you can't change the way other people think..or the rules that apply to relgion.

I have friends that are gay and I think they are excellent people. I don't fully understand it myself, but I am never going to judge them for it. They are good people, their sexuality doesn't bother me at all. In fact it makes them more interesting.

I have have the perfect prospal for YOU! Okay there is program called Federal Mediation & concilation service. They teach tolerance in the school! You can go to your princible and explain the situation, call them and they will come to your school and teach kids how to be tolerant towards other kids... It totaly free becuase they are federally funded...

fmcs.gov/internet/

I have some more information about the program if you are interested, but I think the website should explain their programs and what they do...

If u really care about ur friend u will support him no matter what. He needs u now more than ever to get through this. But if u would rather lose 1 friend that u really care about and keep the rest that make u angry then do so. u will just have to decide what is more important to u.