Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

should i...buy a car or travel??

hodgo

im atm 17, a month off my 18th birthday so i will be able to go for my drivers licence soon and get a car. im also about to start uni and im moving away to do that, about 1 1/2 hr from home. im addicted to travelling and thats all i want to do with my life if i had the endless funds. so...im in a pickle.

im studying conservation biology and ecology and i cant wait. in the mid year holidays i have the opportunity to do volunteer/conservation work either overseas or around australia (where i live) BUT my savings isnt large enough for both car and awesome opportunity. (because i went to canada last year for couple of weeks ...long story...and thus i am still technically broke from that). this travel would be fantastic for me and my studies and this is what i really want but i do kinda need a car. However...

i will be living on campus and near tons of public transport so i can catch trams to supermarket, job (if i have time for one) and most other things. the only major thing i need it for is to be able to drive myself home on the occasional weekend. otherwise its 3 1/2 hr on public transport. guk! i would like to avoid that.

so...what do u guys reccommend??? what SHOULD i do???

thanks

I think it comes to down which one you personally value most; having the freedom to come and go any time you wish with your car, or to expand your view of life by traveling the world meeting new people from different cultures.

Of course you could buy the car now, finish your school while doing part-time and travel after that.

I personally would go for traveling; you can never see enough.

Archived