Making himself more comfortable in other people's company

sprkal

My best friend is fairly quiet, and hence generally shy when it comes to interacting with people, unless he's close to them. He really doesnt like this aspect of his personality and has been saying that for quite some time. I think he is searching for a way to make himself more comfortable in other people's company, so that he can let himself show and be relaxed and get to know girls and everything like that. Does anyone out there have any ideas on some advice i could give him. I want to help him but its hard to find the right words. Also im a girl, and i imagine that its different for shy guys than girls. Anyway, any advice?

*sprkal

Well I'm female and quite shy too (I used to be worse), but I think in general terms, the same applies for both genders. You want to speak up, but fear sounding like a fool to strangers, so you keep quiet. Of course you open up around friends because you know what they're like and what kind of response you will get. In order to break out of this, you just have to not care what others think - after all, you are just being yourself, and if they don't like that, there are plenty of other people to make friends with. And so what if you say something stupid - laugh at yourself and move on. Say what you want (with tact, of course), tell people about yourself, find something you have in common with them that you can both relate to so that it's more comfortable to converse. Even if you have nothing in common, the fun part about talking with strangers is that you find out new things all the time. Concentrate on the person, instead on yourself, and you will feel less self-conscious and eventually open up to the person. If you feel uncomfortable talking in a group, then pick one person out of it and have a small one-on-one with them. Once you've done that with several people in the group, things will move along and before you know it, you will have made a few friends! This also applies when you are talking to the opposite sex.

Hope that helps you with your friend