Another "they always come sniffing around" story, for an ego boost

When I was 19, I was very harshly dumped (during the holiday season, no less) by a guy I really dug. We'd dated for a year and a half. I was in college a few hours from home, and he was still living in my hometown, and there was a little bit of a distance issue. Mostly, though, I think he just didn't think I was that great anymore, and wanted out of the relationship. He said and did some hurtful things (some in front of my friends!), but in general, had always been a very civil, intelligent, attractive, and attentive guy. I was crushed when we split, and was depressed for almost a year. We had a few awkward e-mail exchanges (literally one or two) over the next couple years, and one of them ended badly, with harsh words from my end. (I felt terribly guilty afterward.) We didn't communicate at all for about 4 years after that, and I have not laid eyes on him since we broke up about 7 years ago.

Last year, I noticed that he appeared on facebook and was friends with some of my friends (who he met through me). Still feeling guilty, I friended him, also, to help my karma We had a brief, pleasant exchange about our current doings, and then stopped communicating. I didn't think much about it.

Recently, he's started sending me messages (just to me, not mass messages) with things that he thinks that I would find funny. He's said things like, "I thought of you when I saw this, because..." I responded to one, thinking that it would be a one-time thing, but I've received more. I barely have an emotional response at all when I see his name in my inbox.

I know that this kind of correspondence doesn't mean much on the emotional investment scale, but this was someone who didn't want anything to do with me for a LONG time.

Just goes to show you that people have a way of resurfacing, and your heart has a way of healing itself! "Forever" is a mighty long time, so those of you who are thinking that you'll hurt forever, they'll hate you forever, etc...it's most likely not true

Archived