The Ortho Evra patch- is it effective?

onetine922

I was using the depo shot before as birth control because I am very forgetful, but the only thing that I wasn't crazy about was the weight gain. I just had a baby more than two months ago. My husband and I are not ready to have another child for maybe about 3-4 years from now due to our financial status. We have already figured in my daughter to our budget, so another one will totally break our funds. We decided to go back to birth control, so the patch was referred to me by my cousins and close friends. I know this is very stupid, but we or I didn't really read into how to use the patch. I followed all the directions in how to apply but we didn't really find out when the patch is really effective. I put it on this past Sunday (1-25-04) and we had sex last night w/o a condom. We were going to add the "pull-out" method but he pre-ejaculated. Should I be worried? After sex, we went ont he internet to search for info on ortho evra and it said that you should wear a condom or use spermicide jus tin case within the 7 days you wear the first patch. Again should I be worried? Please help...

I wear the patch and was told that if I put on my first one on the first day of my period that I would be protected immediately. Other than that I believe it is a 7 day waiting period to be sure that their aren't any eggs laying around up there.

If I were you and wanted to be safe I would go get a morning after pill.

During the first week you could become pregnant You must use non-hormonal back-up contraception (such as a condom, spermicide or diaphragm) for the first seven days of patch use. If followed, the birth control patch will be as effective during the first cycle as it will be in subsequent cycles of use.

JSHRN

dont worry too much youll be fine just finish the month and you will see that by the end of the month or the fourth week youll get your period, i have been using the patch for months now and it was effecting on me, just be sure not to do that again for the first week ok , then youll be fine.

i hope i helped good luck