Therapy without meds to get over breakup

Therapy should be more effective than meds post-breakup for the majority of people, since they won't actually be suffering from any clinical depression that the meds could help with, but there's almost always room for some type of improved handling of a situation which therapy can help provide.

As you saw on the other board, I'm in therapy. She actually asked me on our first session if I had thought about seeing a psychiatrist as well and getting some meds; I said not really, because I don't want to be numbed.

One thing about therapy post break up, is going over the dynamics that got you to where you are, both good and bad and helping you move past the tendency to repeat patterns that don't work.

That's the abridged description, but you get the idea. In life we tend to repeat the same patterns and/or mistakes, trying to get it right. When we can see that we are doing that, we have a chance at breaking that cycle. And we grow ... and that makes us a nicer person to be with and if all goes well, we get that shot at peace, contentment and happiness (not all through therapy, you have to make most of this happen for yourself!)

Archived