Opening A UK Bank Account

LBP

I'm an American going accross the water for graduate school and I'd like to have a banking relationship with Natwest established before I arrive. Anyone know about a foreigner opening up with them specifically or have advice for making an overseas account in general?

thanks!

Hey, Im British and use Natwest, if you like I can go in a branch and find out how to go about setting an account up in advance, if you like?

Sure, that'd be great! I'd really appreciate it.

I'm an American going accross the water for graduate school and I'd like to have a banking relationship with Natwest established before I arrive. Anyone know about a foreigner opening up with them specifically or have advice for making an overseas account in general?

thanks!

I think you'd find it very difficult to set up a bank account before you arrive. The reason for this is that you normally need to be physically present in the UK to open an account here. Due to laws to prevent money laundering and terrorist finance you'd normally need to take with you to a bank proof of your identity if you have never opened an account here before. In your case as you probably have no UK issued proof of identity and you'll be travelling here from the US your passport will be the first form of identity. Banks will also probably ask for proof of where you are / live. So if you have a letter from your university showing your student address and confirmation of your studies, or a tenancy agreement if you have arranged accommodation privately outside the university. It may be safer to bring more than that just in case. The National Union of Students here in the UK advises international to students to bring the following when opening a bank account:

* Your full name, residential address in the UK and your country of residence, date of birth, nationality, country of residence;

* Your passport;

* Your student visa/leave to enter (except for European and Swiss students);

* The original of your university/college admission letter, with your full-name, brief course details, expected course date and duration, and name and phone number of your UK university or college, OR

* A letter from your university/ college with all of the above information.

There are usually banks on or near university campuses and while it sounds a hassle setting it all up when you get here it's probably not that involved (although I haven't done that before!). You can open a basic bank account with as little as £1 (and sometimes even nothing) and generally basic banking done in the UK is "free" as long as you don't spend more money than is in the account or require things such as loans, overdrafts or things like that. There may be a a charge for accepting money from abroad and possibly a charge for converting money from abroad into UK sterling so these things are important to check when you open the account.

You might find the following links useful.

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

they allowed us in NZ to open a bank account in london before arriving in london...for our working holidays. We went through a NZ bank that was working with the english bank

lbp's reasons are much more serious and professional than a working holiday.

idk.

You could call them and find out if they do international accounts. That way you can withdraw money in dollars, euros and/or pounds.

It's worth seeing if they do one.

I do believe that Natwest is owned by HSBC.

Nah, it's owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland Group; the HSBC group are one their main rivals.

They do offer international accounts, and they would be easier to open and service from abroad, but also more expensive to run. A standard UK current account would need to be opened from within the UK now, complete with proof of ID and proof of address.

Archived