Is there any hope for me ? or should I focus on other things.

My undergraduate in economics I got bad marks, wasn't pro active in my job search. No job for me. I'm through feeling bad about that and am looking to the future.

Now I am 24 I am interested in accounting. I am applying and getting some interviews. I can complete the remaining subjects for an accounting major and be "Graduate accountant" but it might be very expensive 7-16k for 8 subjects..

Is there any hope for me ? 24 years old, bad marks graduated this time last year officially. I am emailing as many firms as I can in my local area, I am applying for all the jobs online. I don't want to start another degree until I have a job.

I don't want to be an investment banker or a work for one of the big banks because it is not realistic. Atm I am looking for work in small to medium sized companies for industry and small firms for public practise. I'm hoping someone will give me a chance and let me get some experience so I can move into a graduate accounting position or whatever. I don't know if I have any sort of chance given my age and qualifications would I be better off directing my efforts to some of the other doors that could be closing as we speak.

Is accounting one of those jobs where I have to be everyones best mate and make people like me for a living ? If it is I am not suited to it at all. I am good and polite in dealing with people but I cannot make them like me. I am not interested in that sort of manipulative behaviour my attitude towards work is that I want to get a job and get it done with minimal bull in between.

There is hardly any job out there - especially in business - where you don't have to be 'manipulative' to some degree to move up. As a rule of thumb, the bigger the company, the more you need to be able to play the game in order to be noticed.

In a smaller company you are typically more visible for the work you do. This is not always the case, just generalizations from my own experience.

As far as getting an additional certificate/degree/specialization in accounting, I think it is worthwhile if you like that type of work. I have an undergraduate degree in Finance, an MBA, and have sat for the CPA exam here in the states (but opted not to pursue an accounting career... I'm in marketing instead).

You can do A LOT with a background in accounting and it opens a lot of doors. Its the language of business. If you can bust your hump and make excellent marks in your accounting classes going forward it will show you maturity level has increased. I say go for it.

But remember, if you want to move up the ranks and/or make more money as time goes by... you have to be able to work with people well. Or else you'll be stuck in a cube your entire career - which isn't a lot of fun.

Archived