"I'm allergic to the cold..."

I was just reminiscing about my past when I remember the times when I was diagnosed with 'cold urticaria' and 'dermographism'. At school I was known as the cold girl cause I couldn't walk for very long outside in the winter without breaking out in hives. I had to bus to school in the winter, even though I only lived three blocks from it. The dermographism was pretty cool, I must say. It's where I could scratch on my skin and the scratch would raise into a hive.

I was wondering if anyone else ever had this? I had mine for I think two years and then it went away. I still occasionally get swollen and itchy hands from the cold, but not to the extent I used to. I remember walking home one day during Christmas break and when I got home, my mom couldn't recognize my face because it had hived up.

Anyway, anyone else heard of this or experienced it? I've only met one other person who had dermographism, but no one else with the cold disease..

link removed

link removed

^ some info on it if anyone is interested. The dermographism one is actually pretty interesting.

I've never heard of that, to be honest.

My daughter has a condition where she can't regulate her own temperature. We have to keep a close eye on her during all seasons to make sure she isn't too hot or too cold because she can't tell.

I've not seen what you describe though, interesting.

I get hives from tight clothes and cold!

The back of my knees where my jeans crease up and all the way around my waist and on my hip bones where the clothing rubs when I'm sitting. Also on my err, "saddlebags" which I don't even really have, because they're also where my pants fit most tightly

And I get hives on my hands when they get cold. They get soooo huge and swollen and tight and uncomfortable, it's awful.

Seems to come and go. I'll be fine for a few months and then suddenly have to take benadryl and wear super loose clothing every day for a few months.

My solution is to move somewhere tropical where I can wear sundresses every day. Noooot even kidding. Obviously I'm allergic to this country

I've never heard of that, to be honest.

My daughter has a condition where she can't regulate her own temperature. We have to keep a close eye on her during all seasons to make sure she isn't too hot or too cold because she can't tell.

I've not seen what you describe though, interesting.

Apparently, it's quite rare. There was a speed skater or someone in the olympics who had it. That's the only other person I've heard of. Kind of ironic they'd have to be in a rink all day with that.

I get hives from tight clothes and cold!

The back of my knees where my jeans crease up and all the way around my waist and on my hip bones where the clothing rubs when I'm sitting. Also on my err, "saddlebags" which I don't even really have, because they're also where my pants fit most tightly

And I get hives on my hands when they get cold. They get soooo huge and swollen and tight and uncomfortable, it's awful.

Seems to come and go. I'll be fine for a few months and then suddenly have to take benadryl and wear super loose clothing every day for a few months.

My solution is to move somewhere tropical where I can wear sundresses every day. Noooot even kidding. Obviously I'm allergic to this country

Interesting! The hives you get from the tight clothes sounds like dermographism! My friend has it too. If you read in the link I posted it says that tight or abrasive clothing causes it.

I remember when I was playing soccer and a ball hit me directly on the thigh and it was a giant soccerball sized hive on my leg for like 2 hours, lol.

I agree! I'm allergic to this country too. Even our summer was cold for a while. It's not fair, lol.

I can deal with wearing looser clothing (win-win, more comfy too!) but the huge swollen hands every time they get cold is sooo irritating because they are *always* cold, so I can't even avoid getting hives. Sometimes I get a huge hive on the bottom of my foot too cause surprise! ...always cold.

Doesn't help that I'm in a basement that is super cold even on a sunny 30C day with the windows open.

Speaking of, I am having an outbreak right now...in August!

Thank god for diphenhydramine!!!

Archived