I feel unfulfilled... and advice on my new idea?

I went to school for graphic design and have since found a job at a design company, but the work isn't that creative. I've been thinking about doing some freelance work, possibly posting an ad in the newspaper of my hometown. I live a few hours away from there, but I think that since it's a smaller town (they don't have kinds of options for graphic design) and I since I'm just looking for something small to start off with and gain experience, that it would be the best place to start. I do live in a city now, but I'm not THAT experienced yet and it is kind of intimidating. I go to my hometown enough and they could also contact me by e-mail.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this? Any ideas?

I think this has a lot to do with me feeling unfulfilled in my life. I need something to fill it up and I do love art, and I have access to printing resources since I live in the city.

Anyways, thanks..

I just feel like this is something I need to do but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

I can relate to the feeling of being unfulfilled, and I think that you're on the right track by doing something you love to fill the time. The only real advice that I have for you is to make sure you read up on how others have successfully done freelance work. There are a few things you'll need to consider, such as how you will prevent yourself from getting burned, how to write contracts, and what is considered a fair price for your work. You may want to read up on how to start your own business for some good information, as well, especially since freelancing is a bit like having your own business.

This may sound a bit silly, but do you have art that you create for fun? If so, can you enter some of your art in a local art show or auction? Sometimes it can be fulfilling to have your work recognized and appreciated by others (and may lead to some new friends or connections).

Many companies have explicit rules about freelancing in their employee handbook; essentially, you should not be doing work for any individual or company that could be considered competition. I would definitely suggest that you speak with your HR department about your interest in freelancing before you move forward with your idea. If it turns out that you step on their toes, they could make you stop or even take a cut of the money you've earned as a freelancer.

Many companies have explicit rules about freelancing in their employee handbook; essentially, you should not be doing work for any individual or company that could be considered competition. I would definitely suggest that you speak with your HR department about your interest in freelancing before you move forward with your idea. If it turns out that you step on their toes, they could make you stop or even take a cut of the money you've earned as a freelancer.

Oh, I don't think I have to worry about that. The kind of design I am doing now is not the kind of design I would like to do as freelance. I design constructions signs now. I would freelance doing brochures, posters, business cards, etc. So I don't know that it would be a problem. Would it matter if for some reason (I can't see it happening at all) I did say.. a brochure for a company and at work designed a sign for them? I can't see how that would be a problem either (in the rare case it would happen).

Thanks for the thought, though!

Oh, I don't think I have to worry about that. The kind of design I am doing now is not the kind of design I would like to do as freelance. I design constructions signs now. I would freelance doing brochures, posters, business cards, etc. So I don't know that it would be a problem. Would it matter if for some reason (I can't see it happening at all) I did say.. a brochure for a company and at work designed a sign for them? I can't see how that would be a problem either (in the rare case it would happen).

Thanks for the thought, though!

Actually, yes, it would be an issue. The reason that companies have these rules is because they don't want there to be any conflict of interest. You shouldn't be getting paid outside of work by one of their clients. You also shouldn't be getting paid outside of work by one of their competitors.

Actually, yes, it would be an issue. The reason that companies have these rules is because they don't want there to be any conflict of interest. You shouldn't be getting paid outside of work by one of their clients. You also shouldn't be getting paid outside of work by one of their competitors.

Okay, that makes sense.

I wouldn't involve myself with those companies then. I plan on starting out small in my hometown anyway so there would be no chance of that happening.

Archived