Same Old Damned Situation... Suggestions welcome

Okay. Basic info about myself.

Graduated Highschool in 2002.

Started an Electrical Sciences Degree, I would have finished in fall 2005 but a hospital stay + insurance BS killed that degree despite only needing 9 general credits to seal it. Prior to that BS I was on the deans list every semester and the presidents list twice.

Electrical Sciences Degree is basically program designed to train the next generation electrician. Trained in electronics, several programming languages, automation as well as all the standard electrician type stuff (240, volts, amps, I, etc..) The catch is I don’t particullarly want to work in the field.

So, I was in a pickle, go get a job based on the incomplete schooling I have or make a run for it. Well, I was practically already accepted into the Minneapolis Union (the third hardest to get into nationally, MN collectively). I decided to make a move for another degree. I enrolled for a full Electrical Engineering program. Semester one went well but because of my previous BS, I had been placed on financial aid probation. Meaning I needed to complete 100% of the credits to keep the aid from the state which I NEED to continue college.

Flash to now, I slipped in my chem course partially due to depression, health crap and a sh*tty lab schedule posting. I am more or less guaranteed to fail and/or drop out. Either way, I lose my financial aid from now on. I don’t want to give up but I don’t really see any options available. Bills continue to accrue, I could in theory, file for bankruptcy but the downfall of that is it screws your credit rating, I am only 22 and have a rating over 770 and don’t want to lose that.

**Lamenting**

So, any questions, ideas or suggestions just ask…

Bankrupsy doesn't sound good at all...you're way too young to **** that up now.

I wish I could give you more advice. Talk to your college councelor, he must have some kind of advice. Really tell them about your situation. Get a student loan? Family might help? Really evaluate what you need to complete the degree and make living sacrafices?

Maybe your councelor or the teacher whose class you're failing could give you an incomplete due to your health...that's possible in my school...you go to psychiatrist, he diagnoses you, you give letter to councelor and (in my school) you get incomplete for the entire semester.

Frankly, I'm disappointed you didn't finish your other degree...9 credits is nothing. You should have just pushed through and finished it...even if you're not going to really use it (which it seems to me that you would, concidering your new major is very similar)...it'd be better if you had it under your belt, rather than wasting all of that time in school.

I'm sorry I can't give you any more help.

Frankly, I'm disappointed you didn't finish your other degree...9 credits is nothing. You should have just pushed through and finished it...even if you're not going to really use it (which it seems to me that you would, concidering your new major is very similar)...it'd be better if you had it under your belt, rather than wasting all of that time in school.

I understand what your saying but, my point was actually that I could not finish it. My hospitol stay pushed my required attendance precentage below the minimum. Secondly, my insurance required I be full-time to get coverage for the nearly millions dallor bill I had accrued and thats about it. So in short, I not actually get the degree, Sure, I could finish it but I wouldn't really get anything. I hope this clears-up why I didn't finish it out.

I'm curious, would it be possible for you to finish up those nine credits by taking one course a term? If so, what you might consider doing is getting a normal job and working to get yourself through while you finish up that degree, then work in the field for awhile to get enough money to change over to electrical engineering.