Before & after workout eats...?

I usually try and get a good amount of fiber and protein into my diet on a day-to-day basis. I follow more or less a balanced diet (though I used to be on the Atkins diet). On most days, I try not to consume tons and tons of calories. These past couple of weeks I've naturally started eating more vegetables at meals, especially at lunch.

When it comes to working out and all-around exercising, I go in phases. I have never been able to keep a solid workout regimen going for more than 2 months at a time. But after that time frame, I feel great... of course slumping back into my lazy habits.

Lately I have been trying to get back into the habit of lifting weights at least twice a week. In fact, at my college there is a gym/workout facility that I'm looking into.

Anyway, based on what I have said about my habits, what would you recommend I eat before and/or after working out? I usually don't eat anything before or after working out, but from what I've heard, it's important to have X type of food before working out.

Def try and eat something before and after, this is where your getting your energy from for these workouts (the food you eat)...

Protein is the name of the game, depending on what your looking to do with your workouts, burn fat? gain weight? lift heavier weights for more muscle? Try to increase your protein intake...and stay away from fast foods, .....

For me Im in the same situation using the school gym to workout, i maintained my goal weight for some time and i was very happy with the results of weight training and than i slacked, lost the weight and having one crazy time getting it back, the body is there the weight isnt (i lost 10-15lbs over the summer while working, had no time for the gym)...

So it all depends but def dont deprive your body of the fuel you need for these workouts...try and eat an hour before and 30 mins after...if you can...eat healthy foods if possible, and drink plenty of fluids (water being the best for you) but electrolytes is key....avoiding dehydration....