Reading habits

Hi,

I have this problem of not completing what I start. I just seem to lose interest in it. The most important and the best example is reading.

When I start to read a book or an article or a study material (books of my interest and profession) I tend to get distracted easily and lose focus. My mind wavers around and I immedialty start to postpone the reading to another day and that day rarely comes.

This way my knowledge is half full in a lot of things.

I have tried to concentrate hard but that doesn't stay for long.

Then I sit and do nothing or just browse around.

The effects of not completing what I start:

I definitely feel that it could have made me a better person in life had I completed what I started.

Had I read the books and studied properly I could have been in a bigger place and in a better position.

I had the best opportunities to succeed in a lot of situations but just didn't make use of them.

I don't have the hunger for success I guess and thats costing a lot.

I am 29 yrs old today. Mentally I have not grown to the extent of my liking.

Please suggest the methods and techniques that can change my attitude.

ThirdEye

Typically when I read I have a problem focusing too. For instance I think about concentrating. Then I start reading then I realize what I am "reading" i'm not retaining... So then I have to re-read, but by this time I'm pretty frusterated with myself, and I can't seem to concentrate without thinking about concentration.

if I make a noise or breathe when i read I lose focus and I begin to let my mind trail into 10 other things.

I have never figured out how to read anything. I read about 1 page at a time, stand up read something else, then return to it. I've read 2 books in my entire life. They took forever. (Books meaning, something over 150 pages)

-ForAnother

Wow, I can't imagine that, I devour 500 - 600 page novels on a weekly basis... I find that with reading you need to let your imagination get away with you, don't so much read the words, let them wash over you and into your imagination instead and let that fuel your reading...

That probably made no sense, but I hope it helped =)

Don't take ADD medicine. You don't need it. Practice yoga, meditation, or martial arts, they have been found to help people learn to focus their mind.

If I were you, i'd get some good ear plugs and turn out all the lights and shut out all outside influences and just lay in a room for awhile and think. Then, once you have relaxed, turn on a light and read. No electricity aside from the lamp running, that sort of thing will only draw your attention. No phones, no people, no open windows. Only the book/paper/article.

Hi,

I was the same way. I would start a book and then it would sit for months or years unfinished. What helped was reading summaries. It sort of gave me a preview of what to expect and I would decide if I was interested or not.

link removed

You can find a growing list of summaries here.

Paul