School of Spirituality

Sounds cool. But one would have to recognize between learning about this kinda stuff, and actually believing in and applying what is learned.

Reminds me of a buddhist retreat program I almost went to once (but lacked sufficient funds lol- but thanks for reminding me for the next time I go insane).

I would love to go to at least one class like this. I don't need to believe exactly everything. I would just be learning what others believe. To me, that's an experience interesting. But one can adapt to themselves anytime they want. It's a unique mindset to travel to since everyday life doesn't always feel so "spiritual." Being a part of a spiritual "schooling" changes that reality in a way.

I found it interesting that their site is adamant about "honouring our natural impulse toward the Divine without making others wrong for the way in which they are doing it," and then in related materials, states that organized religion must die ("organized religion as we have known it, must fall away for in the organization, seperation occurs" -- link removed). So apparently, somebody actually is wrong, and it turns out it's the millions of church-going Christians worldwide. Why am I not surprised.

Here's more material related to the School of the New Spirituality founder and bestselling new age author, Neale Donald Walsch:

link removed

I'd say it's pretty obviously biased if it's slamming mainstream religion front and centre on it's home page. Took me all of 30 seconds to find. I mean, it's not a subtle thing at all.

I've done some work with people leaving cults, and they all have the same thing in common: They were all hoping to find a better world, to improve themselves, and to do that, felt they had to suspend their judgement -- be "unbiased." But bias is the product of your life experience and your intelligence; if something seems like it is false to you, trust yourself. Trust your instincts. Personally, when I see something that is self-contradictory (like the statement "we're all right in our own way -- except for those Christians over there; they're wrong"), I know I'm dealing with something false.

I have read his books and what Neale Donald Walsh (founder of site) believes is that organized religions and how they have been developed is a flawed system. basically like everything else. Yes, it's a little biased, but I'm interested in the point of view and to witness what their approach would be to this.

What would be your ideas or wishes towards a happier society?

It's funny to see Fascism coming back, only now it's wearing religious pants: "We'll fix the world; just do what we tell you to."

I will not be involved with anything that proposes to either give me "the" answer, or that tells me "those people don't have the answer."

I also have concerns about people like Walsch, who comes right out and says that God talks to him; God is dictating answers to him. That puts him way ahead of other, less well-connected people who don't speak to God, I assume. In Christianity, everyone talks to God, and God talks to everyone; people just choose not to listen. I say, crucify Walsch, and if he pops up after three days, I'll listen to what he has to say. If not, oh well.

I'm all about personal freedoms, accountability, communication, and honesty. I don't see a problem with the society we've got; we just aren't using all it's features.

Yes, but do you believe He doesn't talk to other people....it's always easy to assume other people "need" our "revelations." In fact, I don't believe that God discusses other people with me much, unless I'm supposed to do something for them; my own sins are far too big for me to be paying any attention to anyone else's.

You know the story about the well-intentioned missionary who travelled far and wide, looking for people who hadn't heard about Christianity? And one day he came to an island in the Pacific ocean, miles from civilization, and there, in a cave, he found three hermits. What do you do here? He asked. Well, they said, we devote all the power of our souls to thinking about God. Ah, that's well and good, the missionary said, but you need to know what to think. He decided to begin their education by teaching them the Lord's Prayer, and when he was done, he got back on his boat and began to sail away. But when he looked behind him, he saw the three hermits running over the water towards him, calling to him to return because they had forgotten one of the lines of the prayer he'd taught them.

Holiness is something that comes from being in relationship to God, not from things you learn or people you associate with. Nothing you learn can move you any closer to God; the movement of God into our lives is always Him toward us. Our part in the relationship is simply to accept and respond. You do not need to go hither thither and yon seeking the Lord; He is with you, He is right beside you. Simply accept and respond. When people go in pursuit of a human being they can rely on to tell them about God, they are actually looking for a man to put in God's place. It is a profoundly dangerous road to go down.

I see people caught up in huge religious or spiritual movements, and their lives are destroyed, because they are putting their faith in a man. The particular one you are pointing to here is very easy to see through, because it sets itself up in opposition to organized religion after stating that one of their most important principles is to not do that, not say that anyone else is wrong in the way they seek God. The idea that organized religion is flawed is not exactly stunning news to anyone. I am more interested in the question that that statement raises for me: Why is Walsch opposing organized religion? It can't be that organized systems are flawed, because all organizations that are created and run by human beings will be flawed in some way. So what threat, exactly, does organized religion pose to Walsch and his aspirations? What benefit does he gain by turning people away from churches? More followers? Less criticism? The closer I look at Walsch, the more shabby he seems.

In fact someone else may be very holy, but their relationship with God is a unique one, and the fact that they are saved does not mean that their neighbour will be, or their friends, even though they have lived with those people, and spent a great deal of time talking to them. You could have traipsed after Jesus Christ Himself in Jerusalem 2,000 years ago, and still have failed to know God; apparently, there were many who did.

"Test ye the Spirits." "Be ye innocent as doves, and wise as serpents." There is nothing in the Bible that tells anyone to be "unbiased," if being unbiased means suspending your intelligence.

I have read Neale's books though and know for a fact that he doesn't believe that God only speaks to him. It's stated over and over again that God speaks to everyone, it just depends on who listens.

This is an organization rather than a one man show. I understand your point, but I don't think you actually know what Neale Donald Walsh actually believes and says about things. Don't assume from what you've heard. Read the books and interpret them by what is said, not what you think is secretly behind it all.

Anyways, all that he covers are pretty old ideas. Many philosophers have talked about the same things. The school is about covering topics that have been discussed over the decades and evaluating how each system/religion has failed or succeeded in this world.

In his books, the topics covered, like I said, are ones that have been covered many times. The books are a format to view them all to better understand in newer terms and such. It's not so much a "new thing" though it is associated with the word, "New Age." It's just that people are embracing a more diverse range of beliefs rather than sticking to one religion or way of life. It's analyzing all of them. It doesn't mean you have to suddenly conform to something new.

Actually, it is saying that I have to conform to something. It is telling me that organized religion must go. Well, I'm pretty hard into the "organized religion," and I don't want it to stop. So Neale Donald and I aren't going to get along.

You're pretty heavily invested in this, aren't you?

Actually, it is saying that I have to conform to something. It is telling me that organized religion must go. Well, I'm pretty hard into the "organized religion," and I don't want it to stop. So Neale Donald and I aren't going to get along.

You're pretty heavily invested in this, aren't you?

Nope. Not at all. His books helped me to interpret life on a new level, but it was just an opening of a window for me. As time went on, I opened doors on my own. I do want society though to change and grow so I want to see how much people push away very different ideas. That's what I'm watching for here.

I've learned though overtime how to argue different sides- and that it's important to. That's what I'm doing here- if you're against it, I'll try being for it... just to make sure both sides are seen. It could help more than just you or me.

Here's an actual quote from the website. Please from now on, read into things more carefully. I put in bold the things that should be taken note of.

New Spirituality Definition

"The 'New Spirituality' is a way of honoring our natural impulse toward the Divine without making others wrong for the way in which they are doing it." ~ Neale Donald Walsch

The Dalai Lama, is quoted in Violence and Compassion: Conversations with the Dalai Lama, by Jean-Claude Carriere. His Eminence states, "I believe deeply that we must find, all of us together, a new spirituality. This new concept ought to be elaborated alongside the religions in such a way that all people of good will could adhere to it. We need a new concept, a lay spirituality. We ought to promote this concept with the help of scientists. It could lead us to set up what we are all looking for -- a secular morality."

I know that this organization does NOT like how religion has been used over the years- it has been corrupted, manipulated by many different people. For those who have found the approaches that religion takes faltering ones, this school could work for them. It is in fact, COMPARING the differences between religions and "new" spirituality, ANALYZING them and meshing them together in the end in ways that work in the modern day. But the whole time, it is not about condemning so much- just saying some things the way that man has run them is flawed. Now it's time to cover the holes/flaws.

Here's another quote

1st level function of the School of the New Spirituality

For the serious student of theology – to deeply study the new spirituality in a comparative way by seeing and coming to deeply understand the differences and comparisons between the New Spirituality and more traditional, religious doctrine. Some example class topics are: New Beliefs for the New Millennium, The Nature of Divinity, and The Nature of God, We are All One , There is Nothing You Have to DO, We are Love, Joy & Wisdom in Human Form",The Illusions such as: Illusion of Superiority, Illusion of DisUnity, etc.

The two-fold purpose of the school at level 1 is to provide a comprehensive, formal education in the NS including comparative theology and other doctrine studies.

And then, here's the site which talks about their actual approach to teaching

link removed

I don't think this really goes against what religion teaches. These are statements coming to light which are relevant to what the Bible teaches about how we should live life. It's not bashing anything.