A health issure question.

A friend of mind told me he has a health problem,he just told me he has had it since he was very young.and he has hardly any white blood cells in his body.I didn't want to be too pushy and ask too many questions.

Does anyone know what this might sound like?

Thanks

Hmm, well white blood cells fight off infections. A lack of them makes you more prone to infection/illness.

An increase in cells can signal the presense of a bacterial infection or illness (like leukemia). Lower blood cell counts can be the result of a viral infection though, like a cold, which weakens your body's immune response. Low cell counts can also be related to bone marrow problems, poisoning, etc.

Cancer patients tend to also have lower white blood cell counts because chemotherapy and other treatments reduce their presense (this is why they are more prone to illness and infection during treatments). This is the same for those with other compromised health like severe burns, wounds, etc.

I don't know of any disease that they would not treat though that would cause permanent low white blood cells though. If he had bone marrow failure, they would for example be treating him or putting him on waiting list for bone marrow transplant. Not saying there isn't one though, but you are going to have to ask him.

Oh, I just looked some stuff up and lupus can cause low white blood cell counts too, this is a possibility, but lupus generally means you have other ailments as well. Does he have anything else?

Could he have AIDS? I know it stands for Aquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, and I think it entails lower white blood counts, but I'm no nurse. My friend is, though, I can ask her later.

Yes it does, this is why those with HIV/AIDs are more prone to infection and illness. HIV/AIDs actually attacks the white blood cells directly, which compromises the immune system and body's ability to fight of illness & infection.

It is actually these illnesses/infections that they die from, as they weaken and cannot fight them off.

Yes it does, this is why those with HIV/AIDs are more prone to infection and illness. It is actually these illnesses/infections that they die from, as they weaken and cannot fight them off.

Yes, they can die from simple things like the flu.

Additionally it's been my understanding that aids is behind the resurgence of other diseases such as tuberculosis which had been previously under control, since it has allowed carriers with that weakened state to develop and spread it.

Yes, they can die from simple things like the flu.

Additionally it's been my understanding that aids is behind the resurgence of other diseases such as tuberculosis which had been previously under control, since it has allowed carriers with that weakened state to develop and spread it.

Yup, much the same way as cancer patients, or others with similar immune system weakening conditions. My mum whom is going through chemo, has to be very careful during her low-immune weeks because exposure to things like the flu can yes, cause serious complications or even death. So she has to limit exposure to other people.

Yup, much the same way as cancer patients, or others with similar immune system weakening conditions. My mum whom is going through chemo, has to be very careful during her low-immune weeks because exposure to things like the flu can yes, cause serious complications or even death. So she has to limit exposure to other people.

Yep a friend at work just got done with that and we're careful not to go around her if we've got a cold because she wouldn't be able to fight it off..

It sounds like they are immuno-suppressed. The white blood cells in the body that normally fight of infections have a harder time, because there are fewer.

Meaning your friend has to be very careful about what he is around etc...

As he is more likely to get an illness, and have an harder time getting rid of it than we may do.

Sometime things are living in our body and doesnt affect us may affect them as they cannot block it as easily as us or keep it under control.

Similar to the after effects of chemo, - but all the time.

Sounds like that to me. .

I don't think he has AIDS,I was thinking something along the lines of cancer like leukemia,but he has all of his hair unless he was in remission for along time and then became active now.I was also thinking maybe it is a chronic condition or disease.I found something late yesterday online and I thought it could be a possability.Anyway it is something he needs blood transfusions for(that is what he is getting done now).

This is what I found late yesterday online it is called Neutropenia.It sounds like something he could possibly have.

link removed

It is a blood disorder.I just hope he will be okay.I miss him and I hope he will be alright he is someone with whom I have very stong feelings for.I am very worried

Well it is not leukemia/cancer that causes hair loss, it is some types of chemotherapy. So if someone is not in chemotherapy, or is not in a chemotherapy that causes hair loss...they won't lose hair.

Anyway, if he is getting blood transfusions his body had problems creating enough white blood cells, it sounds like it something with his bone marrow then - the neutropenia is a possibility from the brief reading I did.

Your friend will probably be okay, it sounds like something that they have to treat now and then as they are more immuno-suppressed. He just has to be very careful about his exposure to other illnesses.

Hugs to you, and thoughts and prayers to your friend

Thank you RayKay

That does seem like a possibility.

I am thinking positive thoughts and praying for a quick recovery.

I know he is on a medical leave of absense at his work,not sure how long that will be.

I found out that bit of info and about the blood transfusions from his co-worker whom I ran into yesterday afternoon.

He himself has not contacted me,maybe he didn't want me to know how sick he is and afraid I might worry (too late for that) I have been leaving messages on his cell a couple of times no answer,but I told him I miss him and hope he gets better soon and that if he needs me for anything at all a ride to the Dr's/hospital..just for anything to call me.