POP pill (mini pill)

hi i am thinking of changing fro the combined pill to the POP (mini) pill. I have beent old by my doctor that the combined contraceptive pill may not be right for me because i keep getting break through bleeding and bad head aches. I have been researching and the mini pill seems to have less side effects or at least they are less severe compared to the combined pill.

Has anyone here been on the mini pill and how did it work for you?

also, this is going to sound very shallow but having come off the combined pill (microgynon 30) for a month i have lost a lot of weight..which i am very pleased about. Does the POP pill make you put on loads of weight too..surely if the side effects are less then i shouldn't put back on my 9 llbs?

hi i am thinking of changing fro the combined pill to the POP (mini) pill. I have beent old by my doctor that the combined contraceptive pill may not be right for me because i keep getting break through bleeding and bad head aches. I have been researching and the mini pill seems to have less side effects or at least they are less severe compared to the combined pill.

Has anyone here been on the mini pill and how did it work for you?

also, this is going to sound very shallow but having come off the combined pill (microgynon 30) for a month i have lost a lot of weight..which i am very pleased about. Does the POP pill make you put on loads of weight too..surely if the side effects are less then i shouldn't put back on my 9 llbs?

The problem with the mini pill is that you absolutely MUST take it at the EXACT same time everyday. Even a 30-60 minute delay in it can increase your risk of pregnancy.

It is a progesterone only pill, so you will still ovulate - it just limits ability of sperm to get through cervical mucous, and of implantation.

It does not contain estrogen, so you are not likely to retain water weight as you did with the combined pill which made you heavier and maybe feel puffier.

I suggest you also talk to your doctor about IUD's (either copper or progesterone ones) as you don't need to worry about taking the pill at the same time. The hormonal one will work just like the pill, but with lower doses and is effective for 1-5 years, without having to worry about taking it everyday.

I am on combined pill (Tri Cyclen, more recently the Lo version), have been for 10 years, and like it, but will be switching to a non hormonal IUD in the near future due to my increased genetic risk of breast cancer I don't want to make it worse! I am a little nervous about it, but am excited to be in tune to my normal cycle and hormones again too! Today's pill is not as bad as the ones of old though...much lower hormones...but I already have a much bigger risk so want as much on my side as possible.

A few years ago there was a big "backlash" against IUD's much like one with the former pill, but more awareness of how it works and how it is to be used has made it much better. In some parts of the world it is much more common (Europe/Asia).

i wouldn't take it if i were you. the mini pill isn't very effective - ie it has a high failure rate, so it doesn't provide good contraception (it's one of the least effective of all the Pills). it also encourages ectopic pregnancies and irregular periods. you need to research it more b/c there are lots of side effects that you don't seem to be aware of.

most contraceptive pills will make you gain weight. also, it's not worth subjecting your body to the cocktail of chemicals they contain - many of which cause harm if used long term (thrombosis and cancer being just 2 things you increase your risk of getting).

when my doctor tried to prescribe it for me, she let slip that it would stop my periods, encourages the growth of facial/excess body hair + if you don't take it EXACTLY at the same time each day, it doesn't work. needless to say, i didn't ever take it!

the thing with IUD's is doctors have told me they are not recommened for those who have not had children and they can become embedded in your cervics. I know that you have to take it exactly at the same time each day everyday which is not a problem because i was very good with the combined pill. I have been researching new contraception and it seems either the POP pill or the patch is most suited to me.

But the advice you have given me is good as i need someone who has tried it before and what their take on it is

the thing with IUD's is doctors have told me they are not recommened for those who have not had children and they can become embedded in your cervics. I know that you have to take it exactly at the same time each day everyday which is not a problem because i was very good with the combined pill. I have been researching new contraception and it seems either the POP pill or the patch is most suited to me.

But the advice you have given me is good as i need someone who has tried it before and what their take on it is

Yes, this was because of the old practice..upon insertion 1 in 1,000 would puncture cervix. They now make IUD's that have different sizes for different sized uterus'. It's really a "misinformed" thing over here I think. The 'biggest' risk with them actually is just being ejected within the first couple months (which is why you need to check it once a month to make sure it's in place).

The patch has estrogen, and recent research has shown that women are getting 60% more estrogen from the patch then they do from the pill...which will not solve your problem!

damn..maybe ill just stick with condoms for a while and have a good think about it. something really puts me off of IUDs though, i am not sure why..i think it is the idea of having to have it put in..i'm abit shy about my lady buts.

Thank you for your help xxx

I hope you go for regular pap smears? There is no room for shyness when it comes to your health...I know so many people whom have had cervical cancer caught in the early stages and were "saved" from the full hysterectomies and even death. It's common among young people, so it is very important to get regular exams.

And why be shy...the doctors see those "lady bits" day in and day out, several times a day.

Trust me, eventually after you either have kids, or after having treatments for pre-cancer or cancer in those areas, you lose ALL shyness...better to prevent things rather then wait until they could be too late.

i know i should be having smear tests..i have been sexually active for 2 years and i think i am meant to have a test eevy year but i still don't know..do you just book an appointment with a doctor or a nurse? or do they tell you when you should get one?

You should start getting them when you become sexually active, or if you aren't, starting at age 18. And you should go every year.

I cannot even emphasize how important this is. 80% of women will contract HPV by the time they are 50...it is extremely common in young women as it often has no symptoms and is easily transmitted. One strain of it causes cervical cancer. Other STI's like chlamydia may also show no symptoms and cause infertility or serious infection.

Call a local clinic, your doctor or a sexual health clinic to schedule one,you definitely should be getting them regularly at this point.