any paramedics here?

I used to be a volunteer EMT/firefighter. Here's a little info that I know: There are three levels (California and a few other states do it differently). EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedic. Intermediate's are not that common, most people are EMT-B or EMT-P. EMT-B's perform BLS (Basic Life Support) such as CPR, splinting, controlling bleeding, extrication from wrecked vehicles, administering a few drugs, etc. Paramedics do ALS (Advanced Life Support) like IV's, administering a whole lot of drugs, intubation, manual defib, and what have you. Most community colleges offer EMT-B and EMT-P courses. The EMT-B course is about 5-10 months depending on the location and state. The EMT-P course is 2 years. EMT-B's don't make that much, maybe 8 - 10 bucks an hour. Paramedics are in high demand, so employment shouldn't be a problem. There are usually 3 places where they work; private companies, volunteer stations, and city fire departments. The city fire departments are VERY tough to get into (such as FDNY), and are generally the better place to work. I would highly suggest calling a local fire department and arranging a ride along in one of the rigs. They are free and I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you. It will let you see firsthand what it's like. Just make sure to bring cookies, the firemen like them!

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from Canada, so I apologize if my info is different from Canadian policies. I forgot to add that all you need to do to get an EMT-B certification is go enroll in the course at a local college. Be prepared to have shot records, identification, etc. Also be ready to spend about 300 - 500 dollars on tuition, uniforms, and books.

I used to be a volunteer EMT/firefighter. Here's a little info that I know: There are three levels (California and a few other states do it differently). EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedic. Intermediate's are not that common, most people are EMT-B or EMT-P. EMT-B's perform BLS (Basic Life Support) such as CPR, splinting, controlling bleeding, extrication from wrecked vehicles, administering a few drugs, etc. Paramedics do ALS (Advanced Life Support) like IV's, administering a whole lot of drugs, intubation, manual defib, and what have you. Most community colleges offer EMT-B and EMT-P courses. The EMT-B course is about 5-10 months depending on the location and state. The EMT-P course is 2 years. EMT-B's don't make that much, maybe 8 - 10 bucks an hour. Paramedics are in high demand, so employment shouldn't be a problem. There are usually 3 places where they work; private companies, volunteer stations, and city fire departments. The city fire departments are VERY tough to get into (such as FDNY), and are generally the better place to work. I would highly suggest calling a local fire department and arranging a ride along in one of the rigs. They are free and I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you. It will let you see firsthand what it's like. Just make sure to bring cookies, the firemen like them!

yeah, at college here its a two year paramedic course, and then there is a one year advanced course after that which is separate....you said there is EMT-intermediate which isnt that common...what is it exactly?...and to get to the highest level...is it just through schooling or does it come with experience on the job?

The advanced course is probably an AA degree in Paramedicine (or something similar), which is good and fine is that's what you really want to do.

you said there is EMT-intermediate which isnt that common...what is it exactly?...

EMT-I does everything an EMT-B does. They can also do the cool things that Paramedics can do, but not all of them. They are trained to give IV's, some drugs, and intubation. They aren't that common because most people just want Paramedic. It's more schooling than EMT-B and they don't make much, if at all, more money.

and to get to the highest level...is it just through schooling or does it come with experience on the job?

Both. There are many ways to get Paramedic. You can pay your own way through school for two years. You can get Basic and get a job with a department and they might train you on the job or pay you to get trained. You can also go to school and volunteer on a department somewhere. Many vollie departments will train you or pay for it.

Feel free to ask anything else, or PM me if you want!