The Patch

mandy_n_jut

I have an appointment to get BC on the 31st. I was thinking of getting on the Patch, and just wanted some opinions on this. How well does it stay on? After showering? And is it as effective as the pill-(my other option)?Anyone that is using this form of BC please post your comments. Thanks

Yes, it is just as effective. However, it is really, really ugly--a classmate of mine has one on her belly and everytime she wears low cut jeans, you can see that it gets dirty, tattered, and black around the edges (I am not implying my friend is unclean; but the patch is just like your regular piece of Scotch tape--it will pick up any dirt/dust/lint and refuse to let go).

I heard the patch falls off quite often and is unsightly if you want to wear a bathing suit or low-cut jeans as simone said. It does allow you not to worry about keeping up with the pill, but at the same time would you want it falling off or letting everyone know "Hey, that girl is on BC, check out the patch!". The pill just requires diligence and keeping a good schedule, but there are other options like the Depo shot. This lasts for 3 months and is effective the day after the shot is administered. However, it is basically a poison and the longer you take it the longer it takes for you to be able to be pregnant afterwards. Also, you can only take it for 2 years because after that you could have health complications (it reduces your calcium levels and you could suffer from osteoperosis -- bone loss). After those 2 years, it can take up to another 2 years to get pregnant once the poison has been purged from you.

Some people like it, some hate it.

It is good if you are someone who cannot remember to take a pill every day - but I mean in 10 years of taking the pill I have not had an issue, I just take it every night before bed, and if I am not home, take the pack with me to take about same time every night. You can set a watch to beep if you need to or something.

It is the same drugs as Ortho Tri Cyclen pill (which I take) basically so yes it works. However, I have heard if you are overweight, it may not be as effective - perhaps the transfer system through the extra fatty tissue may dilute it?

It does stay on, though there are cases of it coming off with excessive swimming I have heard. I work out a lot (up to twice daily), so I don't see it as a good option for me given the sweat, sunblock lotion I lather on daily, it would last a couple days at most! And I have had no issue with pill.

Other options to pill and path are hormone free or hormonal IUDS, Nuva Rings, etc. Depo is used by some, but I hear too many horror stories. All birth controls have their potential risks/side effects (both positive and negative ones!) so talk to your doctor about best option for YOU.

Ever hear of NuvaRing? Has the same hormones as the combined oral contraceptive pill and is really handy.

Wouldn't that bug the guy if he's bumping into that thing during sex?

I have never used it, those I talked to say it does not bother THEM, but honestly, it would bother ME...it's bad enough when my partner sometimes hits my cervix accidentally, I don't need to increase the chances of things hitting it...lol.

Maybe depending on some guys size for example, they might not feel it? I don't know. It would seem to me you would feel it though, since the vaginal canal while stretchy is not that long really...ranges from 3-5" or something, and can stretch when you are in there a bit, but it would mean you were pushing against the ring.

It is flexible though apparently.

No worse than a baby running around.

Ummm obviously not (depending on what you want, of course ), but there are other methods of BC. I was talking with my friend last night and she said she'd used it but hated it. She said she could feel it the whole time regardless of pushing it back in or what not.

No worse than a baby running around.

Ummm obviously not (depending on what you want, of course ), but there are other methods of BC. I was talking with my friend last night and she said she'd used it but hated it. She said she could feel it the whole time regardless of pushing it back in or what not.

I imagine it's much like a tampon, once its up there, you would not feel it. The upper vaginal canal is not sensitive like the lower part, so the muscles would just hold it without feeling (so unless your friend feels tampons in there....she may have not had it far enough in...).

But I DO think you would feel it in sex like I said above, that would be enough to bother me. I personally would rather take the pill or patch, even a hormonal IUD, which would not interfere with sex in my opinion! Tte Nuva Ring is hormonal too, needs to stay inside you, so there are other hormonal methods you can use I personally would prefer.

I've been using it for nearly a year, and I don't feel it. Sure, I was put off by the size when I first saw it but it only bothered me a bit for a week until I got used to. As for sex, no problems with it interfering, and no complaints from the boyfriend! He said he would feel it sometimes, but it wouldn't be disruptive.

You can just put it in and forget about it and not worry that you're at risk if you get vomiting or diarrhea(from bad bus trips, stress etc!). I never trusted the Pill though, but that's just me.

That's my 0.02$ anyway

My best friend has the ring and she said that her boyfriend said he could barely feel it, and that it wasn't bothersome at all. Since the ring goes over your cervix (and not in the vaginal canal), the guy only brushes up against it a little bit.

Also, she really likes the ring. Since it is right by your cervix, it doesn't secrete as many hormones, which means not as many mood swings and the other negatives that come with the BC.