FAILED a drug test, whats going to happen?

i'm 17 and i just failed a pre-employment drug test. i know i'm probably not getting the job. but, what kind of trouble could i get in? who else gets to see my test results? am i going to have any rights taken away? could this effect getting insureance or benifits from other jobs i apply to?

Although I can't speak for all municipalities, states and employers, it's not likely that you'd have any legal action taken against you for failing a drug test. There's too much controversy over privacy invasion and drug testing accuracy. It's an evidence thing too. The tiny nanograms (traces of drugs) they get in the sample they take for drug testing is not the same as an ounce stashed in your back pocket. Uusually treatment and rehabilitation, are encouraged and not arrest. Privacy laws prevent the place you applied to from spreading the medical information to any 3rd party.

I think the major consequence will be that you will not get the job.

If you apply for future jobs- they won't even know you applied to the place where you failed the drug test. I don't think there will be any long-term consequences, this time... but if you keep this up, there's no guarentee. If you ever get caught intoxicated or with drugs on you (especially while on the job)- you will get arrested.

Hopefully you will now see that taking drugs can interfere with your future success.

BellaDonna

They need to cover themselves at their end- which is why they recorded you. They likely will not do anything with it. Let's say tomorrow you filed a discrimination lawsuit against them because they didn't hire you- they need the phonecall to cover themselves legally on their end so they could prove that the reason you were not hired was due to the failed drug test.

If you said it was second-hand smoke over the phone- then you did not admit to anything.

this kind of scared the heck out of me

You have the power to avoid this kind of scare in the future, by not doing drugs.

BellaDonna

First off, stay off the drugs. My mother does drug testing for employment. People who fail drug tests are looked down upon and probably will never get a job with that company, ever! If you are looking for a job, stay of the drugs. You are too young and do not want to ruin a possible bright future because of a couple of dubs with your friends.

i had THC in my system. i tried saying second hand smoke but she wasn't having it.

You can certain get positives from second hand cannabis smoke... if not, then toss out all the propaganda about second-hand cigarette smoke.

All you had to have said was that you were at a concert a few days prior, and that there was a lot of smoking going on around you.

i'm 17 and i just failed a pre-employment drug test. i know i'm probably not getting the job. but, what kind of trouble could i get in? who else gets to see my test results? am i going to have any rights taken away? could this effect getting insureance or benifits from other jobs i apply to?

Also, for the record... and I encourage this for everyone out there... don't work for a place of business that requires a drug test.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, for the record... and I encourage this for everyone out there... don't work for a place of business that requires a drug test.

I agree. If they infringe on your privacy before you're even employed, just imagine what it could potentially be like working there.

I guess I can understand why people who are around controlled substances such as nurses, doctors, etc... would need to be tested....I don't want a surgery on me performed by a druggie.... But to have drug testing in other scenerios such as corporate places, restaurants.... I think it's unreasonable...

BellaDonna