Tampons... is something wrong?

So okay, I don't use tampons. I never have. But I decided to try it the other day, and I have this weird problem. Whenever I am inserting the tampon, I feel very faint, dizzy, and light-headed. So, I never get it inserted all the way. I tried again today and it was the worst, I felt as if I was going to pass out, so I took the tampon out, and it took a good 5 minutes to recovers. Does anyone know why this happens? Is this something that happens to other people? I tried searching for answers online, but couldn't come up with anything. If anyone knows anything please help

My guess is that you are having anxiety when you try to insert the tampon and that is what is making you light headed and dizzy.

Have you had sex?

Are you anxious about trying to insert anything up there?

You need to be calm and relaxed in order to insert a tampon, everything tends to clench up down there when you are nervous, making it that much harder or uncomfortable when you try to put the tampon in.

Try relaxing, taking some slow, deep breaths before you try. When you do try, get an ultra slim tampon, for light days. Also, what position are you in when you try to insert it? Standing with one foot on the edge of the toilet is one, or with your legs pretty far apart in a semi crouch position. Sitting on the toilet is another that some people find comfortable.

If you've tried all this and nothing helps, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to talk to your doctor and let him/her know what's going on.

I think you are likely tensing up and not breathing...which will cause the process to be both more difficult and will cause a lack of oxygen!

Maybe it is the process you are nervous of or fearful of. That is causing you to also tighten up so you CAN'T get it in all the way.

The main thing is to relax and breathe. Apply some lube to the tampon, it will help you when you are learning to insert it. As you are breathing out slowly, push the plunger in.

You might want to first learn how by either laying down, or crouching. Many women end up doing it over toilet, but first times it might seem awkward and uncomfortable.

If you are having troubles, book an appointment with ob/gyn, they may be able to help you out with any questions.

Yeah I've got the same problem. It's extremely painful and difficult for me to insert a tampon. They are just so. . . ugh. . . I dunno. They don't feel comfortable at all!! If I try I am sore for a few hours. So I just use pads. It probably has something to do with being tense. . . I dunno though. If it's that much of a problem, just stick with pads.

I'm asking the same question as a few others: are you a virgin? If so, then maybe you're having some sort of anxiety about inserting something inside for the first time. Or, there's a chance that your hymen is still intact and is causing some pain, and then fear.

If you're not a virgin, then I'm not sure what could be going on. For the record though, I'm almost 29 and have never used tampons either.

No, I'm not a virgin, and no, it doesn't hurt doing it, I don't have to force it in or anything. But maybe you guys are right, maybe I am anxious about it because I've never done it before. I still don't understand why it would make me so dizzy and light-headed, because that is something that I have never felt before.