What depicts a confidence person in sports

I used to be a really good soccer player, and i'm definitely very very confident when i play soccer, but from what i remember - not in a good way. I used to love to show off in sports, gather unfair teams and I choose myself to be in the unfair team so I would look good when the team win. It's a long time ago, so i don't mind talking about it.

Lately, i'm in another sport. This time, i'm not that good in this sport. So i actually got a lot of chance to observe how people see themselves during their time in the court. But perhaps i've never taken a good look at how people view themselves before, since i used to basically just play and not observe. This sport, specifically, is volleyball.

My question basically sums up to this

If you go into the court and not know anyone there, from what behavior do you draw out who is the confident person and who is not confident.

Those who put every effort into the game are the one's who are focused. Those who "dance, clap" after they did something great on the court are the confident. Those who look down in shame for missing the ball have the least of confidence because they should look pass that one miss and try to make the next hit. Those who learn from their mistakes to become better carry a confidence that they know they can do better.

"I think I can...I know I can"

Unconfident.....Confident

That's a good response. Not being confident during sport is like being emotionally crippled and thereforeeee, severely affects the play. If you're not old, not new to the sport, and if you don't play well, giving the team a bit of a burden, would you say people whose core is confident would turn into unconfident in the sport? Or would you think that a confident person cannot be shaken?

I somewhat dissagree with Whatdoyado's post... I am not saying volleyball is a girlygirl game or for little barbie type girls at all, but some girls and sometimes even guys in volleyball dance and clap cause they did something good maybe because they are not that great at the sport and somthing like that rarely happens. It does not nessisarily mean they are confident in the sport.

This next one concerns me. I am a swimmer and I look down and in shame ALOT in my sport, but I am one of the most confident people on my team. I do this to make myself look past it and try harder for the next race.

Look at it this way. If you dont look down in shame, how will you know you did bad? You will make yourself think that is the ebst you can do and just live with it. But looking down in shame in a somewhat "positive" way is the best way in my eyes to play a sport. It makes you strive for better play.

Why is looking down with shame considered positive in swimming?

I don't get this? Is this a competitive team and you are the best, and maybe you don't want the others to know of your pride?

Focus on the faces of other people whether you win or lose, don't put on a big false smile.

It is ok to be happy when you win or do something well, but it takes team work to accomplish anything in this world, and you must always see others as your level...not higher or lower...to really be a team member.

If you look for small problems in other people, that will be all that you will see...look past their faults and you will be rewarded.

Why is looking down with shame considered positive in swimming?

I don't get this? Is this a competitive team and you are the best, and maybe you don't want the others to know of your pride?

Focus on the faces of other people whether you win or lose, don't put on a big false smile.

First off SisterLynch, notice the qutations around "positive" I am not stating "WOO HOO I SUCK" is somthing good, I am saying making myself ashamed of what I did and getting mad at myself will make me strive for perfection even more. that strive part is where the "positive" comes into play.

Secondly, I never said to put on a big false smile. If someone can do that when they are ashamed, then I am amazed cause I could never do that if I were truly shamed about myself.

And lastly, before going all "I know everything" on me, try to remember this is a help forum not a put someone down because they do somthing differently then you. Also remember not everyone does t\things the same as you.

Thanks for reading!

I somewhat dissagree with Whatdoyado's post... I am not saying volleyball is a girlygirl game or for little barbie type girls at all, but some girls and sometimes even guys in volleyball dance and clap cause they did something good maybe because they are not that great at the sport and somthing like that rarely happens. It does not nessisarily mean they are confident in the sport.

Excuse me Supaman...It's just so hard to look past the NFL players or Tiger Woods... who get excited when they did well that time. I can't help but notice when the pull their arm towards them and go "YES!" Their confident they know they got game.

I wasn't referring to just Barbie doll games. I was saying that those who take note of their accomplishments and their mistakes are the ones who will gain the confidence to work and do better.

If you look down, can't that take away the positive especially if you loose in a meet or a few? Don't beat yourself to become better...it's to hard on yourself because everytime you loose your going to crack the whip (after all you yourself are the hardest judge on yourself) or you win and you could slip and miss some reps that you should of done.

I think if someone who is confident gets "high" on that and becomes to prideful I think it can take them down. It can work either way. Just strive to do your best...cheesy I know, but it has a lot more meaning when you take it to the court, feild, pool...