What should I be doing.

Good Evening. 

this is for the people that have years in experience. I’m confused on what the next steps are in growth. I’m 27 years hold, hold a bachelors in criminal Justice, a masters in public admin and currently pursing another masters in accounting. I have a decent paying job but want to set myself apart from the rest. I’m currently engaged and live in the Northeast of US. What should my next steps be while pursing my second masters. 

I personally would go to law school based on what friends of mine with similar backgrounds have done.  You don't have to -but can -specialize in tax law.  Or go work for the IRS. Why do you want to "set yourself apart" -why the comparisons and what does that specifically mean to you?

4 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I personally would go to law school based on what friends of mine with similar backgrounds have done.  You don't have to -but can -specialize in tax law.  Or go work for the IRS. Why do you want to "set yourself apart" -why the comparisons and what does that specifically mean to you?

So. Initially law school was my plan but I enjoy numbers more than I do law. Though Public Admin is focused around legislation, my current role involves numbers. I want to become the best of the best at whatever I decide to focus on. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot95 said:

So. Initially law school was my plan but I enjoy numbers more than I do law. Though Public Admin is focused around legislation, my current role involves numbers. I want to become the best of the best at whatever I decide to focus on. 

So - I get wanting to do your best -meaning work to the best of your abilities and skills and talents and when you have passion for what you do that takes care of a lot of it -but how precisely will you know you are the "best of the best?" Are you going to look to win some sort of award for what you do to prove you're the best of the best as compared to others? Will it be because you make the most $ as compared to others? How will you go about measuring this so that you can reach your goal? 

I know for sure I'm not the best of the best in my area - but I never strove to be.  I do admire those who are especially when I know because of their contributions -either to certain people or their communities, etc.  I've had role models and mentors who I admire so much for their talents and so appreciate their time to mentor me and I've mentored others over my time in my career -at this point over 20 years.  

I do know that from the very beginning I did my best to do my best always - I am very ambitious and have a really strong work ethic.  I still do.  But - "best of the best?"  I'd say sure if you were an olympic athlete or similar then you can go for best of the best -the gold medal or its equivalent -how you describe your work now doesn't seem like it lends itself to that sort of goal.

14 hours ago, Patriot95 said:

want to set myself apart from the rest.

Volunteer!  Volunteer with non-profit groups, get on a committee.  Make connections.  People of wealth or affluence always are on committees or boards of non-profits. Helping to fundraise or use their skills and know-how.  People who just work are people who just work.

• Like 2