NEED GIRL ADVICE!! I'm single, she's taken, it's mutual love

I'm confused, who can help?

We met at work 3 years ago, I've never met anyone like her - she's modest, non-advertorial, beautiful, deep but things have recently changed hugely. For three years I've assumed she was out of my reach because she's got a LONG-term bf (12 years monogamy), and so for three years we've worked together and, well, it's all been good and fine.

Then I left work and things started playing on my mind, and I realised how much time I had started to spend thinking about her and how wonderful she really is. So a couple of months back I told her and she reveals to me that she's always felt close to me, cannot even begin to describe how she felt for me back then. And we've met twice since in our new honesty and, truly, it's indescribable how we are - it's like we melt together when we meet.

Last time I (stupidly I am beginning to think) told her that I shouldn't contact her in any way - because the key was her deciding whether she wanted to continue seeing bf or not - and before deciding on that any other course would be biased and dangerous.

That was one month ago and clearly I'm beginning to doubt my strategy - I can't see how we can resolve anything without communicating so every day I miss her more and more and, well, just want to see her. Don't get me wrong, if she and bf are good together then who am I to interfere. But the truth is I've not met anyone anything like her before, and I'm sure her behaviour towards me suggests she wants me over him.

The bottom line is that I assumed that she thinks like me (i.e. needing no encouragement to make hard decisions, needing no obvious reassurance, just getting on with things and making stark absolute choices) but now wonder if I'm giving her too many of my own (male) characterisitics. After all, she's only had the one bf, ever, so perhaps I'm being ignorant in the psyche of girls.

What do you think is going through her head? Am I being ignorant / stupid? How can I resolve this truthfully (whatever the outcome)?