help making a clean break

im in a bind, my exgirlfriend left me back in january, and we had lived togther for a long time and well we were making a future togther, until she left. unfortanetly she went bankrupt and to help her i cosigned on a car for her, got her a cell phone and let her use my credit card. she has been paying the credit card off slowly, and the car loan, but i want a clean break. i was thinking of writting her a letter to give her x amount of time, say 6-8 months to pay me back and get the loans in her name somehow, or sell the car and turn off the cell phone, was wondering what you guys thought, despite her breaking my heart, i dont want her to hate me for doing that, but she wanted a clean break. i dont know, i know keeping it the way it is will affect a future relationship, so i want to fix this. thanks in advance

I would think that consulting with either an attorney or financial planner would be the best thing do to. You don't want to be liable to pay her debts (and if they're on your credit card, you will be). Even though you want to keep relations good with her, it's absolutely necessary to cut her off financially as well.

If you're going to put a time limit for her to pay you back, make sure it's reasonable. People can only afford what they can afford and you probably have an idea of what she can afford vs. what she can't. With that being said, just make sure your request is reasonable.

Hi I dont know what to tell you to be honest I guess it would depend on the amount of debt. i know when my ex left me I had opened a store card for her the day before and bought her a bed. I dont want or expect the money back to be honest, she helped me out enough times financially. i just dont know why she let me buy it if she knew we were breaking up. She knows how much debt I am in. anyway back to you, like I said it would depend on the amount in question and I would consider whether she gave to you in the same manner. I personally would write it off, but we are all different.