Crush on a friend?

So, for a while, I have been friends with this one boy. Great guy. Smart, funny, and very friendly. Over the course of a few months, I slowly began to like him, and now I have a full-blown crush on him. I get super nervous around him, which is frustrating. I am also aware that this would never work out as a relationship for multiple reasons, one of them being that he doesn't like me in THAT way.

Now, I've gotten over crushes before, but it usually involves distancing myself emotionally from them and completely forgetting about their existence. Problem is, if I do that, I'm afraid I'll damage my friendship with the guy. Any advice as to how I can get over him without ruining this awesome friendship between us?

I feel that if you want to get over him i would suggest to look for certain habits or behaviors that he has that you dislike. (something that you dont want in a guy you want to date. Make sure it is NOT something general or you will start to dislike him even as a friend) Even the smallest of things can help you get over him. But keep these small dislikes to yourself or it might get messy.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the best way to keep your friendship with him is to be truthful with him. If you honestly don't want these feelings for him and explain to him how you feel and that you don't think it would work out, then if he is actually a friend worth keeping he will be understanding, and if he does want to distance himself from you because of this, he wasn't a friend worth keeping. I (an 18 year old guy) told my friend (17 year old girl) that I had a crush on her. Even though I did want a relationship with her, when she said no there was no awkwardness between us. We are still good friends to this day, and she said if there was anything I wanted to talk about with her I should just talk, and not try to hide it. If he is truly your friend he will understand, and you can work through it together.

Archived