a wee true story

Myself and Mary have been very close friends for over ten years.

About five years ago Mary invited me on a weeks holiday with two of her other friends Anne and Jane. Now Anne and Jane didn't know each other or I them. Our one connection was Mary. We spent a week in an apartment in Spain. Anne and Jane wanted the beds so myself and Mary slept in the living area. Jane was very plump which she said was due to several mystery illnesses. She had some difficulty keeping up but we slowed down. One day I bought a nice pair of sandals in a stall and she went back fifteen minutes later and bought the same pair. None of that was very remarkable. I did find her mildly irritating but said nothing.

On our last evening we planned to do some real shopping. However Jane came back to the apartment and found her phone was missing. Now we were never alone in the apartment over the week, we stuck together, but I suppose one of us could be alone in one of its two rooms. Anyway we tore the place apart looking for it. We turned over all the beds and furniture, we emptied out our suitcases etc, no sign of it. Jane then complained to the manager. Then we had to hike accross town to the police station and reported the incident so that no-one could use her phone. Anyway we didn't get any shopping done but that couldn't be helped.

well we returned home and I emptied out my suitaces and stowed it away etc and forgot about the whole thing. Now while in spain O bought a vanity case to stuff my sunscreen in etc but never bothered to empty that until about three months later And there nestled inside the elasticated pockets was the phone.

I was stunned. There is no way I put it there.There was no way it could be put there accidently. My bags were in the living area, janes were in the bedroom. I cannot remember whether I emptied my vanity case or not when we were searching for the phone. It was new at the time and not properly filled.Either way I did not put that phone there.I think Jane did.

Any ideas?

Appart from Jane mildly irritating you, what gave you the idea that she did it? Could it not have landed there accidentaly?

It is easy to accuse, but you should have a bit more concrete proof than "not really liking her". I got into hot water like that once. I accused a girl of stealing my stuff, and found it later, in my house, just misplaced.

I have never mentioned in to anyone because I cannot prove she did it. i cannot say that I disliked her, but I found her a bit irritating. However there is no way I put the phone there and there is no way it got there accidently/ No-one should have been in my case anyway. The phone couldn't fall into this bag. those vanity case pockets are elasticated. I just wonder about it.

I plan to do nothing. its just that Ive never spoken to anybody about it and when I found this site I wondered had anyone any insights into why anyone would do this.

I decided long ago not to tell Mary. I never even told Anne. The thing is I know I didn't put the phone there and theres no way it "fell" into one of those elasticated inside pockets of a vanity case. It really upset me when I found it.

I know Mary would have believed me but Jane is her friend and I didn't want her to have doubts about her. I can think of no other logical explanation than Jane planted it there but I still don't know for sure. But why would Jane do it? I have met her about once since. She tells Mary alot of stories, that shes obese because of a health condition and can't have children etc etc. I wonder does she just like people fussing over her and feeling sorry for her. Did she think I'd find the phone sooner? Does she now think that i'm a thief? I just wondered. I wonder has anyone else had similar peculiar experiences?